Monday, September 04, 2006

My collection.

I don't know what any of this crap is.

You know, the whole house remodel thing is still going on. And each time one of the subs leave, I go around and try to tidy up a bit. I throw away their half-empty drink bottles, and lunch wrappers, and occasionally I find something to add to my collection, part of which is above. I don't know what any of it is. I don't know if it is important, or if I should be concerned that it wasn't replaced where it originally belonged. I just toss it all into "the box", which is becoming quite heavy.

I am discouraged. I am sick of nothing working. I am tired of plugging my curling iron into a shop light cord. My garbage disposal used to be on a switch, now that switch turns on a light, and I have no idea which switch will flip the disposal on. Each time I flip a switch or turn on water it is a crap shoot. I never know what is going on.

My washer was a disaster. It was hooked up, which was great considering the kids had resorted to wearing things out of my closet. "It's ready to go" they told me. So I waited until everyone left to unveil the embarrassing heaping pile of filth. I loaded the machine, and off it went! Granted, there is no hot water hooked up, but cold is good, when you are desperate.

I am sitting next to the machine, fascinated that it really is working and then, it begins to drain. And it sounds funny...but then again, I have never sat next to the machine listening to it work. And the water level rises, and I can hear it bubble up, and then it comes spewing out of a hole in the wall. I turn the valve off, and lift the lid of the machine, and call Sam.

"Dude. The washer just flooded the basement."
"Are you kidding?"
"Yeah, not much else going on tonight"

So I have to leave it, until the next day when he can look at it. Apparently when the line is installed it has a plug in it, that needs to be removed upon inspection.

Remember when they told me "It's ready to go?"

I guess in man-talk, that is not a literal phrase. That means, theoretically it *could* go, but needs more work before it WON'T FLOOD YOUR BASEMENT.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man.. maybe you can come to my house and take a break! At least your hubby tried to fix it. Mine wouldn't even attempt.
Seriously though, when can we get together?

Anonymous said...

I don't know HOW you're surviving, Shauntae! You need a weekend away at a swanky hotel. Or at least the Motel 6 by the freeway. ;)

Maybe this story will cheer you up. When we were building our house, we'd come by every day after the workers had left, to see the progress they'd made. One day, we walked into the room that would eventually be our bedroom. Sitting right in the middle of the room was one of those glass rootbeer bottles. DH picked it up to throw it away and noticed it was half-full. So (for who knows what reason) SNIFFED the bottle.

And it was full of pee.

OMGOSH!!!!!!!! So yucky.

Hang in there! It will SOOO be worth it when you're finished!!!!

Mimi said...

Ugh.

Heather said...

I LOVE your sense of humor! Seriously rocks!