Thursday, August 14, 2008

Got Zucchini?

'Tis the season, where you hardly dare to go on vacation, because you are afraid that your zucchini plant will multiply and grow and take down the garage.

I am throwing you a bone here, if you haven't had this casserole, you need to try it.
This casserole is the best.
I grew up on it, and didn't realize how good I had it.
My picky-"A" kids can't get enough of it, and my husband---he's not a real casserole guy, he says he doesn't like all his flavors mixed up. Whatever that means.
Anyway, he likes this one too.

And I think its pretty healthy.

Ignore the sour cream.
Oh, and the stuffing.
It sure does have a lot of vegetables!! Vegetables are healthy.

Zucchini Casserole
1 lb ground beef
4 medium zucchini sliced 1/2" thick
2 medium yellow squash sliced 1/2" thick (you can use straight zucchini here, or straight crooknecks <---another name for yellow squash)
1 c. sliced carrots (I use more, usually)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pint sour cream, maybe more (I have used fat free, and it was just fine)
1 box chicken flavored Stovetop (or store brand is fine)<--prepare as per package directions
1 can cream of chicken soup

Brown your ground beef with the onion.
Cook your sliced veggies in boiling water, put the carrots in first, they take longer, cook them about half-way, and then dump the squash in. Cook until tender, but not soggy. Drain thoroughly. Let those things sit in the colander and really drain...
Combine everything in a big bowl.
See if it is saucy enough, if it looks dry, add some more sour cream.
Dump into a 9x13 and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Top with grated cheese, so it looks prettier, cause this one is colorful but on the ugly side.

I promise. This is good stuff.
And it freezes really well.
I usually make up a triple batch of the stuff, and freeze two of them.
We love eating it in the winter.

4 comments:

laura vegas said...

my mom has a zucchini growing that is just huge! just one though ... that's all that decided to grow this year. lol! i grew up on casserole's all the time ... but my family doesn't get the whole idea of it. joe would never eat one!

Amy said...

I thought you were going to write... Are you afraid to leave town because all your neighbors will pile their zucchini on your front porch while you're gone. This the season... Have you ever tried Zucchini chocolate cake? It is the best- very moist, like Texas Sheet Cake. Yum Yum and then there is the old standard...zucchini bread. Sorry to dominate on my first comment... was sent by Michelle Hammond... and I think you totally crack me up!

Cori Henderson said...

Thanks for the recipe, I have sooo much zucchini. I have been making zucchini bread like crazy, don't be surprised if you end up with a loaf.

JethRobyn said...

Thanks! I have a bazillion squash and zucchini sitting on my counter and have no idea what to do with them. By any chance do you have a zucchini brownie recipe?? I have heard of them, and would like to try it out.