Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Simplify.

I have this friend, and her house looks like a craft boutique.

Her walls are adorned with meticulously “random” distressed shelves. On the shelves are jumbles of cutesy knick-knacks, stuffed with more [tinier] knick-knacks. There are plate racks and bakers racks, festooned with trailing ivy. There are hand-made tea-dyed pillows on every chair and flat surface, stitched with heart-felt sayings and quotes. There are throw rugs, and throw quilts, and she always, always has a scented candle burning.

And in the midst of all the colorful clutter there is a hand-made sign. It is black and cream crackle paint, and it is huuuuuge. And it has one word on it:

“Simplify.”

(In Times New Roman, italic, ‘cause us scrappers know our fonts..)

I have to control the urge to ask her if she even knows that sign is there. Maybe it was a subliminal message tacked up on the wall by a frustrated cleaning lady. (‘Cause ain’t nobody going to dust all that crap themselves..)

So I have been thinking a lot about the irony. And about simplifying my own life. So last night, when I was hating making lunches for the kids I was thinking how I could simplify the nightly ordeal. They never eat the good stuff in their lunches. Well, they do eat the good stuff, just not the healthy stuff. So why do I feel compelled to represent all of the food groups? They don’t get eaten. I had a really great idea. I got a disposable Tupperware, filled it full of Cap’n Crunch, and filled a thermos full of milk. I even included a plastic spoon, cause I am nurturing like that. That’s it. Lunch. And maybe dinner. Easy-peasy.

I think it will be a big hit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that word "simplify". Totally crackin up that it was amongst a knick-knacky type house. ;-P

Love the cereal idea. In fact we have cereal every so often for dinner. That my friend is putting "simplify" to good use.

Anonymous said...

so did the kiddos like cereal for lunch? lol! i'm one of those that has a ton of knick knacks ... all so cute ... but still! i'm in the process of simplifying (spl?)this house of mine!

Anonymous said...

Love the irony of your friends kitchen wall. Simplify has been my theme of late as well!!

Anonymous said...

way to go...you hit three food groups with that one! thanks again for a good laugh!

taniawillis said...

bawaahaaaa.....you're a hoot shaunte! so glad our paths crossed with kfd. i *need* your humor!