Monday, December 27, 2010

I'm Hiding from the Kids, with the last of the Chocolate.

I had all my kids really close together.
I am such a sucker for newborns!
When my babies turned 9 months old, I missed having a newborn, and like a complete moron, figured I should have another, you know, instead of skulking around the hospital and getting my fill, or borrowing one from a neighbor...
So we had all our kids really close, and as a result, they all go through "stages" one after another, with no break.
Let me explain that one a little better.
When we potty trained, it lasted FOUR! YEARS!

We are smack in the middle of braces right now. Also:
Teenage attitude.
Constant texting.
Oxy on the Spot Cream by the gallon.
And closet drinking parents.

This Christmas season marked a couple of big milestones.

One day, out of the blue, Sam and I got a good look at Jayden, (14) and discovered that he was sporting a partial 'stache. I am not sure how long it had been there, since we hardly ever see the kid.

As is the rite of passage, Sam gave him shaving lessons.

(Remember that I mentioned my beloved camera died? Well, I am not used to the new one yet. It has a setting on it for adjusting the white balance. Our bathroom is orange. Yes it is. And the setting options were for Tungsten Light and Florescent Light but nothing for Mexican Strip Club Neon. So deal.)
I am pretty sure he will not be needing to shave again for another six months, but Santa brought him a razor and Edge gel anyway.

His voice has gotten deep, and it is kinda freaky sometimes to hear a man downstairs when I know Sam is gone, and realize it is just Jayden.

The other Christmas milestone, was for Shianne. She is in sixth grade now.
She is starting to get curvy, much to the horror of her father.
For Christmas, she got her first make-up bag.
Starting her out on mascara (Great Lash) and lipstick.
She could not be happier.
She is a pretty girl and really doesn't need it:
I gave her some lessons, and cried a little inside.
"Go ahead and coat those naturally long, black, super-thick lashes of yours...you butt."

Of course all the kids have all crossed over to that Expensive Christmas Gift zone.
"I only want a couple of things this year, Mom."
An iPhone
iPod Touch and
iPad.
(iDon't think so iDiots, iCan't afford that.)
Also...Stupid Apple!

They got what they got.
It wasn't that.
And when they can afford the stuff they really want, they should be well out of the house.

And speaking of well out of the house, they have another week off from school.
This can go one of two ways.
I will enjoy having them around, hanging out in PJ's--bonding; or I will quietly crack mentally from the non-stop bickering.
I am putting my money on the later.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Thank you for returning to the blog world!

Penny said...

Welcome back! I can't believe how much Jaden looks like Sam and Shianne looks like you! I had my Blog printed for Christmas too and I love it! It does make me feel good when they ask about my journal in church. I can say, "I had it turned into a book it was so good!"

Heather said...

I have MISSED you cute girl! The part about Jayden and the man voice really freaks me out! Weren't they just babies a couple of days ago?

Melanie said...

I am SO glad that you are back. I miss reading about all your life lessons and funny stories. (like the fart in the isle & a little FB request!)

My son is 16 1/2 and I told my hubby that the older they get, the smaller the presents get under the tree. It is all $60 games and $1500 New York City school trips.

For some reason, I don't remember trips like that when I was in school:)

cl said...

can i just say how happy it makes me to click on your blog and see a new post? i have missed you woman!
i seriously cannot believe how big your kids are and they are just as cute as ever!
and i agree with the bickering driving you crazy...that is all my kids do, in fact i think they are experts in it!

Michon said...

Love this! Thank you for your return! :)