Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mikayla's Baptism

Today Mikayla was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
She is our baby, and our last child to be baptized.
I am so proud of her!
She is a genuinely good girl, and a sensitive soul.
As a young mother, I happily celebrated all the "firsts."
It was exciting.
First steps!
First tooth!
First child in Kindergarten!
Each milestone was momentous, (I took a butt-load of pictures) and I looked forward to each one.

I didn't realize how soon I would hit the "lasts."
The "lasts" aren't as fun.
In fact, they are downright sad, and kinda painful.
(Except for the last potty training...)
Most of the "lasts" don't get celebrated, or even noticed.
I didn't notice the last bottle of baby food I spoon-fed into chubby cheeks.
I can't remember buying my last bottle of bubbles for an Easter basket.
Or tying the laces on the soft denim pair of Old Navy (size 1) sneakers that were passed down to all of my babies, for the last time.
Mikayla's life is all about "lasts."
She is the last one to outgrow clothes, and toys, and entire stages of life.
Stages for her, and for me.
I am so lucky to have her.
She doesn't seem to mind curling her gangly, all-knees-and-elbows, 8-year-old body up on my lap to read a book.
Or still grabbing my hand when we walk side-by-side, even if it is not so cool anymore.
She will still watch "The Wonder Pets," if the other kids aren't around to tease her.
I think she knows that I need it.
So today, we celebrated a "last."
After our company left, I cried alone, locked in the bathroom.
Those weird manic (Ineedtherapy) tears of equal happiness and sadness.
And ate frosting straight from the can.

6 comments:

Mary Kay said...

A butt-load of BEAUTIFUL photos. She looks lovely. And I totally get it-- my littlest is 8, too.

Heather said...

Oh girlie - I eat frosting straight from the can without even being sad or depressed!
Mikayla is a beauty -I am sure I will feel the same way when parker gets baptized - if the little punk lives that long!

PS = My super stinky dog says Hi!

Jackie H said...

I was so close to crying real tears about this until I got to the frosting part :)

Kim said...

Amen. I feel the same way about Doug. How many "lasts" do we experience without ever knowing? Think I'll go lock myself in the bathroom and cry about it. It's fast Sunday, so the frosting will have to wait....

Amy Sorensen said...

She looks beautiful. And I so relate. I have those crying moments all too often with my youngest.

Glen said...

Awww...Mikayla looks soo pretty Shaunte. My firsts - and lasts are over! I am now doing it all over again with my grandchildren. I can't believe my eldest will be out of her teens next week - and my youngest was 5 in March. My youngest daughter told me I ain't getting any more! Where's the chocolate?! *Ü* TFS. ~Glen~