Monday, May 16, 2011

This is NOT in the Handbook.

Last night we had an emergency Family Home Evening.

When all my kids were younger, they loved to play in the tub.
They loved to play in the shower!

I never had an issue getting them to bath.
They would stay in the tub long after the water turned cold, and long after their fingers and toes turned white/gray in color and wrinkled up like albino prunes.
Every Saturday night, I would personally scrub them good.
I loved the smell of a warm (Johnson & Johnson body wash) body wrapped up in a clean bleach-scented towel.

Apparently, during those years, it escaped their attention that you actually needed to "wash" when you took a bath.
With soap.
And shampoo.

One of my kids in particular has been looking rather greasy post-shower.
"Did you shower?"
"Yep."
"Did you wash your hair?"
"Yep."


Riddle me this. How does freshly washed hair hang like it has been dragged behind a horse on the range?

For days I would ask.
I saw it wet, with my own eyes, yet when it dried, it looked like a dust mop.
What was going on?

Well, come to find out, the boys bathroom, downstairs, has been out of shampoo for MONTHS.
Since around Christmastime, I discovered, after careful questioning.
They have been using Irish Spring.

Let's backtrack, shall we?
To about two years ago.
One of my nameless offspring had an issue with their butt.
Namely, a sore butt, like unto diaper rash of yore.
Except this kid was old(er) than they should have been for diaper rash.
This is really too much information, but the butt issue was really sore and may or may not have oozed.
Allegedly.
The nameless offspring was a little too old for a thorough inspection by myself.
((shudder))
So, I took this kid to the doctor.

We have been to foreign countries, and you never know what you can pick up in restrooms (and I use that term very loosely) in a foreign country.
Especially the type where they sell toilet paper by the square, and require you to flush the toilet yourself using a metal bucket full of questionable liquid.
But I digress...

Long story short, the doctor gave this child a cream of some sort, and told this child to be diligent about drying off after washing.

In the car, on the way home, the child tentatively asked what the doctor meant exactly by "washing."
At first I thought this was a joke, born out of the humiliation of recently spreading cheeks in front of a female pediatrician.
It was a dead serious question.
This is a fairly intelligent child.
This kid, was "unaware" that you needed to actually soap, lather up, and rinse your crack.

My ears were ringing.
That ringing right before you pass out, because you can't believe what you are hearing.
I took a very deep breath.
And wondered where in the heeeeeeal my parenting skills had gone wrong.
Plus, I had to fork out a $25.00 co-pay for this!

They wash in AFRICA, people.
On the barren sand swept hills, where those nomadic people-who have really long necks stretched out with a million metal rings live.
I saw them wash!
On the discovery channel.
Granted, they washed in stagnant ponds, but they had funky handmade soap and everything.

My child? Not so much.
"I guess I forgot about that," the child said.
I was mortified.

So fast forward again, to our emergency Family Home Evening.
One of my other offspring came to me on Sunday with a strange greasy, slimy glob on the top of their (freshly washed) head.
I discovered after poking it with a cotton swab, that it was conditioner.

I started having flashbacks of the "not soaping the butt" ordeal.
Clearly, this child thought that glopping random product on the head in some fashion constituted "washing."

Our Family Home Evening consisted of a discussion about hygiene.
We covered Body Washing 101.
"Private Parts: Even if They Don't 'Look' Dirty, They Still Need to be Soaped Up."
"How To Wash Your Hair, and Actually Reach the Scalp."
"Because Your Feet Are 'In' the Water the Whole Time, Does Not Make Them Clean."

I had a whole segment dedicated to pimples.
(I have four teens/pre-teens.)
(Sympathy accepted.)
I had a print-out of a cross section of skin.
We went over oil glands, and sweat glands and how they get clogged.

It was enlightening.
And yet, shouldn't pretty much ALL THIS CRAP, be COMMON KNOWLEDGE?!!

Just for good measure, we covered:
"Toothpaste: Not Just for Squirting on the Mirror."
And:
"Deodorant: No Longer an Option."

They have that funny parenting saying about how you can totally see how some species in the animal kingdom eat their young.
Not me.
It would give me salmonella or botulism or something.

10 comments:

Ranes said...

When I was younger, my mom used to joke about numbering her lectures. She said she repeated the same things so many times that it would be easier to simply state the number of the lecture.

I am now at that point in parenthood.
"Did you brush your teeth"?
"Did you brush your hair"?
"Have you done any homework at all"?
"When was the last time you took a shower"?

I have started the same jokes as my mom.... Lecture 27, 14, and 36.

7packofbearss said...

I had a very similar experience once. I was scrubbing the boys bathroom and realized that the shampoo bottle was full of plain water. It had been gone probably for months.

Kids are stinky.

Someone should have told me that before I had so darn many. :)

Unknown said...

You guys are making me feel better...:)

Kim, Marci, and Family said...

Shaunte, I laughed SO HARD! I have also had that problem with seeing the hair wet when they come out of the shower yet looking like they walked through a grease factory when it dries! It did make me question how the parts I couldn't see are getting cleaned! When did kids get so gross, certainly we were never like that?!? haha!

Lydia said...

One word AWESOME!! Sometimes we forget the things that we do most often must also be taught!!! I find teaching my young boys about hygiene a pretty monotonous task, seeing as they really don't care!! I even went so far as to put a mirror in there room so that perhaps when they saw the rooster upon there heads in the morning they might think to do something about it.........so far, no such luck. I guess that is all just par for the course!!

Heather said...

Girl - It is one of the funniest freakin posts ever! I'm talking New York Blog post best sellers!
Can you even handle that you need to teach this 101 hygiene to the kids? I remember being in Ecuador and they lived in squalor but they sure as heck knew how to wash their backsides!

laura vegas said...

omg shaunte! you're hilarious! i LOVE your posts! i'm thinking of flying you out here to CA, so you can have this same talk with one of my shall-not-be-named children. lol! she's had issues before. and judging from the greasy look of her halfway-down-her-back hair lately, she's having issues again. seriously. how can they NOT know how to shampoo and condition their own hair?!?! i don't get it. it also makes me question where i've gone wrong. what did i NOT teach them. are they just lacking in common sense all together? and i totally appreciate your holding no bars on the butt issues. a certain someone in my house has been complaining that her butt hurts for weeks on end now. maybe it just needs to be cleaned ;)

Geneal said...

Shaunte, Serious, you could have a #1 best seller book with your blog posts, No Joke! You add a little humor to everyone day love it.(Jenn's Mom)

Anonymous said...

ROFL...not only was the post hilarious...but also rang true for my 9 and 7 year old as well.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it and you bring back such fond memories. But, as a mom of 2 this too shall definitly pass but it is these moments that make life such a joy to live. Thanks for sharing your great mements in parenting.