Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The secret is out.

You wanna know my secret from the other day?

I have never been published in the scrapbooking world for anything other than a layout, well, and one mini-album. I decided to give the Card-making thing a whirl. Which, by the way, was very hard. For some reason cards were hard for me. They are a mini-layout, right? You would think? This should be easy for me. I struggled with them, but got a few cranked out, and submitted them.

Well, I got a phone call from Alisha, the editor of Cards magazine. At first I thought she might be calling for me to "please, don't submit anymore, you are taking up inbox space." But no...and I almost fell off my chair when she explained why she was calling. Not only am I getting a few cards published, but they wanted to use *three* of my cards on the COVER of the magazine!

WooHOOOO! Beginners luck, I am sure....but dang good luck to try something new, and score the cover!

I think the clincher was when I photographed the cards for submission. I used props! Yes, I did. For Easter, I used a plastic bunny....and for one of the "Friends" cards I posed it standing beside a cold Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew is a Friend. Woo 'em with Dew, I always say. It's no wonder that card got picked. It was subliminal.

Tralalala...I am a card-maker now.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

huge congrats shaunte!!! and the cover to boot! i have a hard time with cards too ... although i find that if i do the square ones it's much easier for me ... resembles a 12x12 layout! lol! and using props ... never thought about that!

Didi said...

LOVE the "woo them with a Dew" comment! I am addicted to the stuff...'nectar of the gods' is what I call it. CONGRATS on getting a COVER! whohoooo!

Cammeron said...

Oh thats funny! haha. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

that's AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Super Huge Congrats!
'Bought time you joined us "card-makers"!!!
KD

Shantay said...

Yipppeee!!! I can't wait to see them! I think using props is the key....all the cool kids are doing it!

Way to go!

Mimi said...

Whohoooo! Congratulations~

Kay said...

You are just multi-talented, friend! Huge congrats!

Anonymous said...

Well now there you go Shaunte!!!!
Way to go!!!!!

(Receive some Bacon)...

and some hugs!

Peg