Saturday, June 13, 2009

Way back in 1994.

Three days ago, on the 10th, Sam and I celebrated our fifteenth wedding anniversary.

15!

It seems like it has been longer in some respects.
And in other ways, it feels like just yesterday.

I love him more now than I did on our wedding day.
Life will do that to you.



I loved him as my newlywed husband.
Like the time it was his turn to do the dishes, and I went to bed.
The next morning the dishes were still in the sink.
I was so fuming mad!
I would SHOW HIM a thing or two!
I gathered up all those dishes, and put them on the seat of his Jeep as I left for work.
He never said anything.
The dishes were done when I got home, and the apartment was vacuumed.

I was so stupid!
We fought about petty things in the beginning.
And admittedly, I have been stupid many, many times since.

I fell in love with him again as a new father.
How instantly comfortable he was with newborns.

He took care of all of our babies the first few nights they were home, as I recovered from my c-sections.
I am ashamed to say, that he changed all of those first really gross newborn diapers.
Never complained.
How safe my babies looked, curled up on his broad shoulders.

He even volunteered to spent the night in the hospital with Mikayla when she had meningitis, because he knew I would never get sleep in a hospital room.

I came in the next morning, sunlight streaming through the metal blinds, both of them laughing, and eating red jello together.

He is a good dad.

He likes to play.
He doesn't mind dragging the kids along on a golf day or to Moab for Jeep Safari.
He took Brendan in diapers to Moab.
Without me.
He just flipped him up on the hood of the Jeep to change him while they were on the trail.
I bet you see that a lot in Moab, guys driving big ol' knobby tire trail-runnin' rigs and changing poopy pants...

You never know what kind of a dad your husband will be, and I for sure lucked right out in that department.



I can't believe Sam has put up with me for fifteen years.
Here is what he has had to endure:

Constant vomiting and the crankiness that comes with that FOR FOUR WHOLE MONTHS with each one of my pregnancies.

If my feet are cold at night, they are going on his side of the bed, tucked under his legs.

If I am upstairs and need something from downstairs, I will call him on his cell phone to bring it to me. I am lazy like that. And funny thing is...he always brings it to me.


Sam frequently gets calls on his way home from work to stop at a store and pick things up for me. Photos from Costco or milk or bread, or feminine products...

Once we had a mouse in the house, and baited it with some crap that made the mouse crawl halfway up the stairs and try to die.
I found it, still barely alive.
I called him in full panic mode:
"There is a mouse dying on the stairs!"
"Well, go get some pliers, grab it by the tail, and take it out to the garbage can."
**silence**
(as I have passed out just thinking about getting that close to a mouse)

So Sam came home from work, to dispose of that mouse for me.
I love him.

I am quite sure that we have had other "incidents" of rodents.
He just never tells me anymore. That is his gift to me.

He also knows that bad tickers run in my family...and I am about a mouse away from heart failure.

He eats what I cook. Even when it is a new (barfy)weight watchers concoction with brussel sprouts and garbanzo beans.

He thinks I am sexy at any weight, and make-up optional.
He might need lasik.

He has made me a better person for knowing him, and I am really, super lucky.

We celebrated by going to the new Star Trek movie, and eating fajitas at Chili's.
WOOT! WOOT!
Don't judge.
We know we are KRAZY! With a capital "K."

Thanks for putting up with me, babe.
Here's to another fifteen!

10 comments:

laura vegas said...

what an awesome post shaunte! sounds like you're a very lucky girl to have him! happy 15th anniversary!

Nichole W. said...

LOL. We went to Star Trek for our recent 8th anniversary. We must be pretty Krazy, too! Congrats on 15 years!

Heather said...

I just love you and Sam Wadley - isn't it crazy that it has been 15 years? Where has the time gone? Really?
We love you guys and Happy Anniversary!

Penny said...

So cute!! I love the picture with the facial hair. Very manly! You guys are perfect for each other.

Unknown said...

15 years, huh? I was there that day-- I can't be that old either. Remember the days of driving around in our Geo Storms? Good times.

Not as good as the mice thing, though. That's true love.

Kasey said...

Wow that was one sexy dress girl!! Congrats on 15 years you have a great hubby there!

Sara said...

That was so sweet! Happy 15th Anniversary to you both!

Anonymous said...

Awww. What a beautiful tribute to him, Shaunte. He is a keeper!!! Congrats on 15 years!

Shane and McKell said...

This is so cute!!! I love it! oh man i do have to say that "i like your sleeves" on your wedding dress. congratulations on 15 years!!!

Detalles Handmade said...

Hola Shaunte. Disculpa que te escriba en español pero tienes un buen esposo que te ayuda, y disculpa que no te había escrito antes pues he tenido muchísimos inconvenientes hasta hoy. Que grata sorpresa ver tu comentario en mi blog y más en mi idioma, que detalle, muchísimas gracias. Esta historia tuya me ha gustado de verdad, parece sacada de un cuento. Por aquí esos casos son extraños. Te voy a pedir prestado a Sam para que venga por unos días a darle clases a mi esposo, tal vez aprende un poco. (espero que él no lea esto), pero en serio, muchísimas felicidades y espero que sigamos en contacto. Me gusta mucho tu blog y lo que pones. Hasta pronto! Con cariño, Karina