Saturday, September 12, 2009

Canada Episode III (final)

I totally know that you guys don't care about the final post, cause it has been so long and all, but I finally edited everything else, and dimmit! I am posting the rest of the trip.

Let's see where we left off...
Oh yes, heading out to Prince Edward Island to see ANNE!
Also Green Gables.
The Anne of Green Gables.
That Anne Girl.
Anne with an "E."
I heart her.
On the way out to PEI, every turn of the freeway opened up a beautiful new scene.

It sure beat the trash strewn freeways of Utah.
We reached one particular crest in the road to have it open up into a sweeping field of yellow wildflowers.
The whole hillside was covered!
Before I could catch my breath long enough to holler out "STOP!" Sam had already pulled over.
The van doors opened, and all the kids climbed out, skidded down the gravel roadside, and posed for the paparazzi mom.

You know you are bad when you don't even have to ask anymore.
The family knows a photo-op when they see it.
Seriously though, beautiful, eh?

Since Prince Edward Island is well, an island, to get to it from Nova Scotia, you have to take a bridge.
A seventeen MILE BRIDGE.
Over the water.
With nothing below you.
But water.
It was a little freaky to me.
I am glad I don't have to commute it often. Or ever.

On the way home we saw the finger of God from the bridge.

Isn't that a weird shot?
The setting sun peeked out for a couple of minutes.
Anyway, back to Anne!
We were very lucky that she was home that day.

Never mind my cheesy smile.
I just love Anne.
I have always loved Anne.
We are kindred spirits.
And it was pretty surreal to actually be at Green Gables.
It was not the Green Gables shown in the movies, but the actual Green Gables that Lucy Maud Montgomery based the description on in her Green Gables novels.

We got to go inside.
They had some of the props that were used in the movie.
One of Anne's "puffed sleeved" dresses:

The slate that Anne broke over Gilbert Blythe's head:

"Lover's Lane" (with two middle-aged lovers.)

And the "Haunted Woods."

It was all very green and pretty.
They say that although L.M. Montgomery eventually moved away from Prince Edward Island--her heart never left that beautiful place.

I can see why.

The next place we went was called "The Bay of Fundy."
It was a natural park, where the tide rolls in and out so quickly that you can actually walk on the bottom of the ocean floor.
The tide rolls out, and leaves this sticky mud, and some hermit crabs.
Then you have to get your butt out of there, cause it rises up almost 70 feet.

They are not kidding.
Look how cool, though:

The rock formations were awesome.

The mud? Not so much.
It was like glue.

Meet Dumb and Dumber:

Exploring in the quick-sand like mud.
Slippery mud that would suck your feet in, and not let go.
"Stay on the rocks!" we said.





That night we learned how to use a looney coin-operated washer and dryer at the hotel.

Other highlights of the trip, in a quick summary:
Peggy's Cove, with a very cool lighthouse.
On the way out there, I thought it was interesting to see these random boulders on the hillsides.
They were deposited when the melting glaciers were moving through when the island was formed.

The lighthouse:

I am not sure why we don't have any lighthouses in Utah.
We need to get us some.
I guess we do have that tin shack at the top of Timpanogos.
The kids liked hiking around on the rocks at Peggy's Cove.

We had life-changing donuts from this joint:



I know that the 40 count container is supposed to be a "family pack."
But I ate it all myself.
Don't judge me.
They were donut HOLES for pete's sake.
Those don't even count.

We had a ghetto picnic at one point.

Here is a funny story.
We hit the grocery store to get bread and peanut butter and jam, right?
Cause it is cheap and filling.
And kind of a tradition.
So we had my mother in law, Bonnie go find the jam.
Look what she bought!
LOOK!!

RAISIN FREAKING JAM!
What the heck?
As she clearly forgot, that raisins are the fruit of the devil, I marched her right back to the jam shelf to help her select some good old-fashioned grape maybe?
Raisin....sigh...

Oh, guess what?
The joke was on me.
Turn that RAISIN jam jar around, and what have you?

Oh.
Grape.
Uh, I guess raisins are considered grapes.
In some form.
A thousand pardons, Bonnie.

I was determined to see a real live Canadian Moose.
And this was all I got.
From the moving van none the less.

If you squint, it looks kind of real.
Eh?

We also took the kids to a free ocean life museum.
It was very hands-on and ended up being a highlight for the kids.
Free is great too.
We were spending a lot of money on Canadian candy bars.

Something had to give.

The lobster in this next picture we were told, weighed around 25 pounds. He was so old, that he had stopped shedding his shell, and actually had barnacles and moss and crap growing on his claws.
Pinchers?
Whatever.
He was big. Trust me.

There was also this bright royal blue guy.

That is the color "albino" lobsters are.
Something about missing pigment.


Then we took a drive to see the temple in Halifax.

Nice to have a familiar site, even when you are in another country.

And that was about it.
I will wrap this thing up with some of my favorite scenic photos.
And I am headed to bed.
Dreaming of Timbits.


14 comments:

laura vegas said...

i love reading about your family vacations! reminds me of all the vacations i took as a kid ... traveling all over the place and doing all the outdoorsey, scenic vacations spots.

Wendy Lojik said...

Wow that is totally a trip of a life time. The photos are amazing..especially the finger of God photo that is an incredible shot.

Amy said...

Love the vacay posts. One of my best girl friends from Canada lives in Nova Scotia now. Jealous!!
Also LOVE LOVE LOVE the tim bits and the apple cider and hot chocolate, divine. They had one on campus where i went to college (ok and every other block if we are being real) and i love me some timmy's.

Steph said...

Gorgeous shots!!!! You are making me so homesick for Maine!! And Anne is my kindred spirit, too. :)

ashley said...

Your photos are great! I love, love, love Anne too. I could watch those movies over and over.

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures. I wondered what the heck you were doing up in Canada-- sounds like you entertained yourselves pretty well.

3 Boys and a Girl said...

What an awesome trip!
You CAN'T be middle aged! OUCH!
Love the mud...Your boys are fun.

Unknown said...

I have loved your photos from the vacation posts and the comments about our Canadian candy bars!! Coffee Crisp are the best :)

All of the packaging in Canada has french on one side/english on the other that is why thought it was raisin - lol!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics! You look like you could BE Anne!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are so beautiful.-Laura

FifthAvenueGirl said...

Oh I giggled about the "raisin" jam! I guess when you are not used to seeing French on every package you buy - this might come as a surprise. Here in Canada - we see this all the time. Thanks for the new perspective! LOL!

Jenn said...

Every Canada post has made me so homesick! I laughed and laughed over the grape jam!! I knew from reading the french side exactly what happened. I think I might need my mom to bring us some tim bits on her next trip down here.
ps. by the way, I am an Anne nut too!!

Jen Gallacher said...

Jealous much from your trip to see Anne. I heart her too!! :)

Anonymous said...

Love your picture in front of the canola field! And thanks for the tutorial with EP 'country drive'!