Thursday, September 24, 2009

A whole lot of nothin' for a $25.00 co-pay.

"How are you?" the smiling, green scrub-clad doctor asked me.
"Well, aside from being bat-$hit crazy, I guess I am doing okay" I said.
He chuckled.
I didn't.
Then I cut right to the heart of the matter and brought out my notebook.
Oh yes, I did.
I wrote it alllll down.
I didn't want to miss a thing.
He nodded thoughtfully and made notes as I spoke.
I am pretty sure he was just doodling, but he made a good pretense of the note-taking.
I rattled off everything that was going on with me. Physically. Emotionally.
Then, when I got to the end of the list, he looked up nodding in that knowingly slash sympathetic way and said "you are text-book premenopausal."

Emphasis on text-book.

I seriously can't grasp why guys like this get paid real money.
Google told me I was premenopausal.
I bet there is a Wonderpets episode on menopause.
I want help, not an obvious diagnosis.

I told him that.

Then he said, "99 percent of women that come through that door have one of three things they are concerned about: not being able to lose weight, non-existing libido and lack of energy. If I could fix those things, I would be a very wealthy man."

I knew right then, that this visit was not going to go as I had planned in my head.

We talked a while longer, and he offered to put me on birth control.

I was wondering if he knew that the best form of birth control EVER would be to just keep me like I was.
NO ONE LIKES ME LIKE THIS!

Birth control?
Really?

There were other things mentioned too, don't get me wrong, but apparently there isn't a quick fix for me.
I can't just get Advil Menopause with Anti-Crazy.

I am pretty sure my thyroid is off, so we are starting there, and then beginning a journey down what looks like a very long road of try and try again.

Then, he hands me a very large paper towel festooned with flowers, and looking very much like the roll of Bounty in my kitchen, and leaves me to the undressing for the exam.

I am sure I am not the only woman in the world who undresses, ready for a virtual stranger to see all her business, yet feels compelled to hide her underwear.

There I am standing in nothing but tissue,(my back-end not even covered) and stuffing my bra and undies into the leg of my jeans so they can't be seen.
What is that?

Sparing you the details of the exam, it was over quickly, and this year I scooted down far enough the first time. Yay me.

"This might pinch a little." is a huge, big fat lie of an understatement.

Then some blood work.
Then back to the car.

And when I was in the car, I realized that nothing was accomplished.
Nothing.

Granted, the blood work will be a start.
I need to have patience.

But I was still a little frustrated.
I felt sweaty.
So I went to Wendy's a got a large frosty.
The End.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post made me laugh!! I can relate to so much of it!! I hope you get everything figured out. It doesn't sound fun!

Anonymous said...

Apparently my name is now "6p00d8341c blah blah". My name is Lisa Day just so you don't think an Alien just left you a comment!

Nichole W. said...

I am an underwear/bra hider too! And I think every woman deserves a large frosty after that kind of dr. visit!

Amy Sorensen said...

I have a fantabulous doctor whose specialty is hormones. He is seriously THE BEST doctor. (His office staff is another matter entirely, and it will take you approximately 9.5 years to get into see him, but he is worth the wait.) Shoot me an email if you want his name. (I daren't post it online because he's so good he needs to be kept SECRET. Or the wait will be even longer.)

Amy Sorensen said...

ps, I would shoot YOU an email with his name only I am feeling too lazy to find your email address. Geez, that's pathetic of me, huh??? ;)

Heather said...

I love how they get paid our co-pay for hearing what we have already googled before coming in! Hey - we should be doctors - can't be too hard!

Melanie said...

I have been wondering how the visit went. Do you have a midwife in your practice that you go to? I have been to my midwife since I had my son 15 yrs. ago. She is willing to talk, listen, and let you cry if you need to. First off, my husband was gaining weight (eating was a factor too) and his skin was itchy and I made him go to the doctor. They took blood and his thyroid was almost shot because it was working so hard to try and regulate his body. They put him on medication and they got it right the first time. He has to take it the rest of his life. Second, you might need to find a woman doctor. They are understanding and would help more than saying 'gaining weight,' 'sex drive' etc. Don't stop with the first advice. Well, I can't say advice since he didn't give any. You know what I mean. Don't just take what he says. The thyroid is a good start and I have heard of women going on birth control pills later in life. That might help too. Funny about the sex part....no one would want you like this....I love you. You make me happy. Hope you feel better soon. I have shingles by the way:( Just something else to add to my crazy life at the moment. (I hide my underwear and bra too:)

Jenn said...

please.
write.
a.
book.
you make us all laugh... hope the blood tests show something. good luck my friend.

Geneal said...

Shaunte, jenn's mom here, just to let you know that next time i come i am bringing you good old canadian chocolate, lots of it! chocolate can fix anything right?
The joys of being a woman! Have you considered a new career of being a writer, you could have a # 1 best seller with just your blog posts. You brighten our day with laughter and thats a good thing! Hope that soon you will find the right help for your problems. DR. Phil's wife robyn has a book out on the subject. You might find helpful. Jenn's mom

Sierra said...

I just had this lovely little annual exam yesterday so your comment about hiding the panties? rofl!! I do that too! My doctor has seen me give birth two out of my four times and I still do that.

I wish you all the best with what you are going through. I've heard it's a lot of trial and error. NOT helpful at all if you have to hurry up and wait. That will make you crazy all by itself!

You are hysterical and I love to read your blog. Thank you! :)

Penny said...

Glad I'm not the only 37 year old that's having the same problems. i feel normal now. Thanks!

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

You make me laugh. I miss you.

I am sorry. Hope things go better :)

Deneen said...

Hugs and prayers to you my friend! I absolutely hate going to the doctor's because they have a very strange way of making me feel crazier than I actually was when I walk through their door LOL. And I can always count on you for a good laugh, I think I need to live in Utah.

Jackie H said...

My kids and I have had swine flu for twelve days now. I've read all my normal blogs, and went searching for more. Glad to find yours. Too funny.

I hide my undies too---in my pants too! Weird.

Thanks for the entertainment.