Sunday, October 18, 2009

Down for the Count

It started with Brendan.
He went on a scout camp-out and was up the next night puking.
I slept through it all.

Hooray for having kids that can hit the toilet on their own!
I figured that he just ate a lot of junk on the camp-out.

Then the next day was fast Sunday.
We all fasted, and Jayden excused himself from the dinner table to go retch.
Again, I figured he was just overly hungry from fasting.

The next day, Shianne started ralphing.

It was only then that I figured it out.
"Hey, we have the flu, here."

I got it yesterday.
It was rotten.
I finally needed to eat something, and the only thing that sounded good was a banana shake.
I hate bananas.
Maybe I just needed the potassium?
It tasted pretty dang good.

And today, Jayden is fevered up again.

I want to clear the house out, and have it quarantined.
Lysol everything.
Sigh.

I guess it is going around.
Several schools in Utah have completely closed.

Other news:

Shayne came home last week and informed me that he wanted to work on a project for the reflections contest.
He wanted to enter in the Photography category.
He asked to borrow my point and shoot camera.
The theme for this years' reflections contest is "Beauty is..."
I forgot about him for a while, and he came back into the house, partly frozen, holding the camera.
"I think I got some good ones." he said, "Can we go look?"

So we go upstairs to upload the photos he took.
I was curious, because it was pitch-black outside, and I had no idea where he was going with this.
Here is what he got:


I was floored!
He took the pictures through his telescope!
And I was even more floored to learn he shot them on manual.
I DON'T EVEN SHOOT ON MANUAL.
He said, "I just kept trying all the buttons, and the one that worked the best was the "M" button, on 4.5 and 1/1000."

Huh.

He picked his favorite pictures and mounted them on black poster board and put:
"Beauty is...something you can't touch, only see."

I am not sure how two morons like Sam and I have managed to raise this kid.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those pictures are amazing!!! I hope you are all feeling better soon.

Snooze said...

That's why we love them ... because they're the best of us amplified. Hope you're all feeling better much soon ... and good luck with the contest.

Kim said...

I HATE the stomach flu. You might as well just blow up the house and start again. You never get rid of all of those germs. Sorry man. Want some Gatorade?

7packofbearss said...

Sorry you are sick. We have been sick this weekend too. Bummer.

Wow Shane! I am impressed.

Heather said...

Dang shane! those are beauties - and you might want him to use that same motto once he starts getting interested in girls!

Cindy said...

WOW! WOW! What amazing picture!!!! Hope the Lysol takes effect soon!

Melanie said...

Of course, I am laughing out loud at your post. First off, the photos are great and I don't even shoot in manual mode.

Laughed at the kid that can hit the bowl but really laughed about you and Sam raising a kid. LOL

You are a hoot. I needed that laugh.

Jen Gallacher said...

Manual setting? NO WAY!! Dude, he's awesome!! Hope you guys get feeling better. :(

Anonymous said...

I guess two morons do make a right.

All8 said...

Looks like somebody takes after his momma. Hope that ya'll get (and stay) better, soon.

Jenn's Mom said...

Wow, Shayne, those pictures look like they belong in National Geographic, I'm sure you will win the contest. Awesome! Get better soon.