Tuesday, January 04, 2011

About New Years' Resolutions

I have this love/hate relationship with making goals for the new year.

It generally sets me up for failure.
I usually make unrealistic goals. Most of them revolve around food.
No More Chocolate!
No More Sugar!
Nothing Carbonated!
More Spinach!
And then Spring rolls around, bringing with it Cadbury mini-eggs, and I lose my head.
Failure.
Kinda like all the newbies at the gym that clog it up until mid-February.
We mean well...
Despite the risk of failure, I like the thought of starting fresh on habits that need to be implemented, or need to die.

This year I have made just two goals.
The first one is to read The Book of Mormon.
Many of you who read the blog already know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Book of Mormon is the foundation of our religion, along with the Bible.
It is 531 pages long.
I have read it all the way through once in my whole life.
Yep. Once.
I have read all of the Harry Potter series. Twice.
Allegedly I read Twilight in one sitting. (498 pages)
I am giving myself 360 more days to get The Book of Mormon read.
I am dragging my kids with me.
Anyone want to join us?

"Regular reading of and talking about the Book of Mormon invite the power to resist temptation and to produce feelings of love within our families. And discussions about the doctrines and principles in the Book of Mormon provide opportunities for parents to observe their children, to listen to them, to learn from them, and to teach them."
David A. Bednar


If you would like your own free copy of The Book of Mormon, you can get one HERE.
Any of you who want to join me by reading The Bible, that counts too.
You can get a free copy HERE.

Although, I gotta warn you...The Bible has like 1,274 pages.

My second resolution for 2011?
To eat cookies.
Failure proof.

4 comments:

Cori Henderson said...

I like this. I'll try to read the BOM with you in 2011! I can count on one hand how many times I've read it through all the way. 1st Nephi I've ready many times:)

Cori Henderson said...

BTW! I'm glad to see your blogging again!!!

Heather said...

You go girl! That's a great resolution! i seriously think that I have 1st Nephi memorized for all of the times that I have attempted to read and finish the Book!

Melanie said...

I am with you on the cookies! That resolution is fail proof for sure.