Tuesday, March 06, 2012

I Work in my Pajamas

You guys know that I craft for a "living," right?
One of the perks of this, is that every day is Casual Friday.
Don't be fooled by the photo.
I had to mock it up for an assignment.
Reality would have me sitting in the giant pile of crap--I had to scoot that aside for this photo. My hair would be in a pony-tail, shower optional.
But you get the idea, right?
The beauty of making my own schedule and stuff?
Having product shipped right to my door?
The only better job would be a mattress tester.
"Could you just nap on this every day for a week, and tell us what you think."
Dream. Job.
Which ironically would also require me to be in my pajamas.
For work.

Anywho.
I was recently contacted by Scrapbook Steals.
They wanted me to take a couple of scrapbook kits off of their hands, and make some stuff for them using the kits.
Yes, please.
Then, I got two fantabulously gorgeous kits from My Mind's Eye.
Both kits were from a collection called "Follow Your Heart."
I am not accustomed to working with kits.
Well, let me tell you what, the projects practically made themselves. Everything matched. Everything coordinated. Everything was easy. It sort-of felt like cheating.
I am sold on kits.
You can see the projects I made over on their blog, and if you act quickly (because I understand the stuff over there sells out fast) you can snag yourself a kit or two.
Scrapbook Steals is one of those "we have 100 kits, and when they are gone, they are gone" sites.
Here is the link:
SCRAPBOOK STEALS
But come back, cause I want to show you some other stuff.
I wanted to show you how easy it was to make a layout that looks like it took a long time, but really didn't.
Like when you make cookies using a mix.
Here was what the paper looked like right from the kit:
That shape is a big trend in scrapbooking right now.
I call it "chicken wire."
That shape has a name, but I am not 100 percent sure what it is.
I would say hexagon, but there is also a pentagram or pentagon or something. Remember I am a failure at math, and that would include geometry.
I did not master the shape-sorter as a child either.
It seemed like a lot of work, with little-to-no end satisfaction.
Like Golf.
I was more of a Cheerios-eater.
So, chicken wire it is!
I was inspired by the chicken wire. I chose to cut it up, and make mini-frames from it.
So I randomly selected areas to cut away.
Then I mounted the cut paper, with pop-dots onto a sheet of neutral patterned paper from the kit.
In some of the empty spaces I added photos.
The adhesive went down first.

Then the photo. I used wallet sized photos, and cut them down with my Exacto Knife if they stuck out of the side of the paper.

After the photos were added, I filled in spaces with a quote, added a title, and then embellished the whole thing using stuff from the kit.
These scraps were left-over when I cut them from the paper. I punched hearts out of them, and added the hearts to the layout. I am very frugal. It is my pioneer heritage.
In fact, I used only two pieces of paper from the kit for this whole layout.
The background, and the chicken-wire.
You can click on the layout to see it better.
It is a simple layout, but it looks like it took a long time.
In actual time, it took me about five songs on Pandora.
Here is a close-up to show the dimension of the chicken-wire raised up off of the background page.
Here is another layout that I whipped up in very little time too.
The background paper already had most of the elements printed on it. I just added to it with stuff from the kit.
Seriously easy.
You can pop over to Scrapbook Steals and see the other things I made with the kit.
Thanks, Scrapbook Steals, for having me!

In other news, I made some cards for another assignment.
One of them was this one:

Cute, yes?
Here is the back of this card:
Let me take you in closer:
Yes, that is machine stitching.
I sewed the damn thing shut when I was stitching the border.
I am not always awesome.

18 comments:

Melissa D. said...

I have to disagree with the "I am not always awesome" in the closing of your blog. Seriously Shaunte, this is incredible! I love the chicken wire layout! Thank you for designing for Scrapbook Steals today. I am a devoted fan of theirs...and now, I think I shall click follow on your blog! Love your work!

Heather (goldiecar) said...

Melissa made me find your blog, and I have to admit... You're hilarious. Totally a new follower!!

Kristy said...

Shaunte, you CRACK ME UP! Did I ever mention that I love you. Oh and remember that time in Chicago...when we spooned. BWAAHAAHAAAHAA.

Kristy said...

PS - Thank you for going above and beyond today. It was a true delight to work with you again. Don't be surprised to see me throwing some more kits your way in the future. :)

Melissa D. said...

Re: Kristy's post above..Please do! (Send kits her way that is, I won't ask about the spooning part! Lol!)

Glen said...

I was sure I saw your post Shaunte...and then it disappeared! So I am back to see it here and say what a fab layout with the hexagons! TFS. ~Glen~

Amy Williams said...

Oh my! So talented AND fun to read too! I love when someone's personality shows through with their writing! New follower here who stopped by from Scrapbook Steals! And I shall be back for sure! Thanks for the humor added to my day!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

Wow can this layout BE and cooler!? I love it!

JKKoets said...

I am a devoted Scrapbook Steals fan and am thrilled with your projects. I'm now a follower of yours!

Brett said...

New follower via Scrapbooksteals here as well! I love everything you did with this line! And your blog totally cracked me up. Sewing a card shut is something I totally would have done ...

ana roat said...

Dear matress tester wannabe-
When I was in the 7th grade I took homemaking. We had to make a skirt out of a yard of fabric and some elastic. I did ok until we got to the hem. For some unknown reason I kept sewing the skirt shut at the hem. After cutting and cutting the teacher finally gave up and allowed me to switch from skirt to tote bag! Ha,ha,ha!!!

Your layout looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

OMGosh Shaunte....you once again have me cackling! Sewing a card shut....that totally sounds like something I would do....You are awesome in the way you make us laugh and keep us relating to you! {{{hugs}}

Becker said...

You don't have to wait in vain to get A in your Ignou MTTM Project. Just comment with the Help on our website. That's true! Ignou synopsis offers customized, plagiarism-free MA tourism project assistance to students all over the globe at an unbelievably low price. They will finish your Ignou MCOM solved assignments 2021 22 by the deadline, following all rules and regulations of your Ignou university.

hani said...

Great work. Do you want help with case study assignment help? sourceessay.com will be ideal place to explore numerous blog on different subjects. Dissertation writing Service Liverpool

Qunock6987 said...

To access all this data you need to set up a Plex server and then use the Plex client on your TV, smartphones. This article explains how to connect your Plex client to your Plex account. plex.tv/link

Qunock6987 said...

According to the official Plex website, it's like a portal where Plex lets you find and access all of your media, this can include anything from your personal files, podcasts, web shows and news, to music.plex.tv link

assignment help online said...

Great assignment help offers the best assignment help online in Oman. Comprehensive support from Assignment help online that enables students to get great scores with our professional team. We provide the various types of assignment, get our services at very low price.

ANNIE said...

This was really amazing, great blog you shared with us. check out how-to-get-rid-of-body-odor2023