Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hygiene Fail.

Last night we had a family home evening (<--this is a Mormon practice where each monday night we set aside time to teach the kids life lessons. Or something. It ends with TREATS!)

So last night, Brendan, our ten year old gave the lesson.
It was on Reverence, and he did a fine job of pointing out how "No one in our family is quiet during church."
This is being taught by the boy who folds armies of tin-foil soldiers out of gum wrappers and battles every sunday during the sermon.
Then he issued the challenge of being quiet next week.

Incidentally next week is General Conference, and we watch all of our meetings on T.V.
I am not sure if he did that on purpose.
Brendan always finds some loophole.

I took a few minutes to add some learnin' to the evening.
I pulled out a diagram of some skin and gave a lesson on pimples.

My kids don't believe in washing their faces.
All of them, even the five year old have had tiny baby zits on their cheeks at times.
I explained it all, and I gave them the challenge to WASH.
Ugh.
Why do we even have to have these conversations?
Every night they are supposed to brush their teeth.
I am leery of that one going down.
Especially since the new toothbrushes they recently got are still in their blister packages.

They are also supposed to wash their hands and faces.
I knew that one was foreign when my nine year old said "Well, what if there is nothing to wipe off of your face?"

Correct bum-wiping techniques are often disregarded as well.
That is evidenced by the Lady Who Does the Laundry.

Sam's kids are gross.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Always remember - it isn't your side of the family they take after - it's all SAMMY!!!

Anonymous said...

A diagram? That's genuis. Could you find one that had huge, nasty, puss filled boils? I'm thinking shock factor. I've threatened the boys that they will have to pay for their own cavities...doesn't seem to help. I get the wiping thing too. I've often stood outside the bathroom while they're showering giving step by step instructions..."Now use soap...all over...shampoo all of your hair...please rinse". It's ridiculous! Nice to hear I'm not alone. Hang in there!!!!!

ScrapBox Organization & Storage said...

That is very funny. Btw, thought you might be interested in this giveaway:

giveaway.theoriginalscrapbox.com

Cindy said...

I have to say we have one who I have told will get very very sick if she donsn't start using the paper next to the toilet!! Glad I'm not alone!!!