Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Apparently I Missed Pi Day?

What the...?
Of all the stupid things I have ever heard, that right there probably ranks up in the top ten.
Right underneath "eating carrots will make you see better."
I ate carrots like a rabbit on Meth, and I am still blind as a bat.

I hate Math.
I can't imagine someone drumming up a whole holiday based on celebrating some stupid Math number.
Equation?
I don't even know.
And how do the herds of nerds celebrate Pi day, anyway?

I suffered through all kinds of Math classes that I was promised I would use later in life.
Let me tell you what.
The only Math you need to know, they teach in second grade now.
I know this, because I occasionally help my kids with homework.
Second grade is as far as I can actually "help" them.
Basic addition and subtraction, some fractions, and multiplication.
What else do you need?

As a mom, you need to be able to count your children.
That is a given.
Unless you stick with just one, smarty pants.

Cut a pizza into equal slices. (Is this Geometry? I never took it.)
Figure out shopping discounts. (30% off? Hard. I just do 10% three times, and round up a little just in case.)
Follow a recipe. (Double a cookie recipe that has 2/3 c. cocoa? Just measure 2/3 cup twice. No brain cramping adding those fractions.)
Figure out how many treats you need for a soccer team. (13 players, the box of granola bars comes in 5's. Four boxes. Siblings always get in line too.)

I think I could choose a better holiday to celebrate than Pi day.
For instance, right off the top of my head...
Sweatpants Day!

Never mind, that is everyday for me.

3 comments:

Michelle and Nick said...

I have to admit that I am one of those people that celebrates Pi(e) day. Of course, anytime that you can find an excuse to eat treats works for me. And I just happen to love pie!! It was so fun to meet you. I have really enjoyed getting caught up on your blog!! By the way, I got my girl--and she is beautiful.
From your psycho stalker preggo woman in Kohls.

Sierra said...

Your 2/3 c. comment had me laughing out loud! That is so me. lol!

Mimi said...

I never, ever, ever pass up the opportunity to make (and eat) pie.