Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Echo Park and Tombow Adhesives

When I was asked to do some projects featuring Tombow Adhesive, it was like the mother ship was calling me home.
In all my years of crafting, Tombow has been a staple for me.
It would be like the Universe asking me to promote sleeping in late, or hot showers.
A no-brainer for me.
In fact, when people walk into my studio, they notice three things:
My supply buckets:
(Cause they are cute!)
My rainbow of cardstock:
(So pretty!)
And my adhesive wall:
(It looks like a STORE in here!)
You can see I am quite partial to Tombow. Every single time I go to the craft store, I throw in a re-fill for my Mono-Adhesive dispenser. I ran out once, at midnight, and vowed it would never happen again!
 Although they didn't send me any in my swag bag...I also really, really like their Mono Multi Liquid Glue.

This stuff sticks like nothing else. A little goes a long way, and it dries clear. Winning!
One of these days, I will post some photos of my studio.
That would require me to clean it, and right now it is a pit.

Anyway, today I wanted to focus on Tombow Foam Pads, and Mono Clear (vellum) Adhesive.
First of all, I can not craft without Foam Pads. In other brands, called Pop-Dots or Dimensional Adhesive.
I really like dimension in my projects, and popping elements off of my page or card.

Tombow Foam Pads come in two sizes per package, which is nice, because other brands only have one size, and those foam pads are harder than heck to cut down to a smaller size. They stick like crazy to scissor blades.
I started my layout using this sheet of paper from the Echo Park Happy Days collection.
Ordinarily I have a hard time using these border type pages.
They seem flat to me, and pictures feel like they are just floating aimlessly.
I decided to create a frame out of the border, then I could tuck items inside the scalloped border, and kinda ground them. (I have weird crafting issues.)
I cut the outside "frame" and using Tombow Foam Pads, I adhered the frame to another sheet of paper from the kit.
I used the foam pads every few inches.
After I adhered the "frame" I added my photo, and additional elements to the inside of the frame.

I wanted to also showcase vellum on this project.
That's right.
Vellum.
Hey, man. I know that stuff is "old school" but you know what? I like it. I like the transparent quality of vellum, and that it doesn't over-power things. It is subtle. Like parsley.
I predict vellum making a come-back.
Like neon off-the-shoulder sweatshirts, and the Mullet.

The problem with vellum in the past, was how to adhere it to things. It is kinda slick and resists adhesive, and since it is see-through, it was a bugger to find adhesive that didn't show.
Enter Tombow Clear Adhesive.
I dare you to find the adhesive.
You can't see it. Not at all.
I wanted to show you the other size of foam pads too, perfect for smaller items.
Like that flower center.
Ignore the hand model, who clearly needs lotion.
The finished layout:
And since I had my vellum stash out, I decided to quickly make a card.
We have had a lot of weddings lately.
I am out of wedding cards!
I had to use a sympathy card for the last one.
In fairness, the card said "Thinking of you, in this difficult time." I was able to pick off the "in this difficult time" part of the card. Although maybe it would have applied...
I used some paper from the Echo Park Victoria Gardens kit.
It is perfect for more elegant projects.
Here is my card:
The vellum added a subtle touch. I die cut the letters, and then embossed them. My handy-dandy Tombow Mono Clear adhesive worked wonders. Even with the uneven surface the embossing gave the letters.

So, in short.
Tombow. I love you.
I have always loved you, and I don't see us breaking up in the near future.
Maybe we can marry?
I already have a card.


4 comments:

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Love it! And you def. had me laughing, thanks!

smahrty said...

I just found your blog from Tombow. Love your content, so fun to read about your adventures at the cabin. Also love that you cut out the frame and popped it up on your "Twelve" layout. Now i know why i didnt like those types of printed frame outlines! Hee now i have a new technique to use.

Carol said...

AMEN!!!!!!! Tombow was my very first scrappy love. Great layout!

Beth Hallgren said...

Im a Tombow lover too!