Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mini-album made from a dollar store compact: Tutorial

A long time ago, I created this mini-album out of a powder base compact I picked up from the Dollar Tree. I still carry this thing in my purse. It has held up well, and the mirror is pretty handy to have too.
I have had several people ask me where I got it.
When I tell them that I made it, and that it was easy, they give me a courtesy smile and walk away.
Really, guys, it is easy.
I am re-posting my original post that I did for Mother's Day on the Quickutz blog, here, on my blog.
If you get working on this now, you could have them ready for Christmas!


Mother’s Day is quickly approaching, and I thought I would share an inexpensive project with you. This project would be perfect as a gift for the special women in your life, or as a gift for yourself on Mother’s Day.

I started with a mirrored compact that I found at the dollar store.


I used an awl to chip out the make-up, and actually with this compact, the makeup portion came completely out in a metal tin. I then washed and dried the compact. (And realized I would have never made it as a hand model.)


Next I gathered my supplies:

Nested Circles CC-SHAPE-14-024
Nested Flowers CC-SHAPE-088-5
Small Flowers RS-0005
Tab RS-0517
12x12 cardstock
Felt
Ribbon
Brads
Button

Cut a strip of your cardstock measuring 2.25" X 12".

Then, using your paper trimmer as a guide, measure every two inches along your 12” strip, and score the paper. I like to run my bone folder right down the gutter of my paper trimmer where the blade would normally run. This gives me an accurate measurement, and a clean score line.


You should end up with a strip containing six equal squares.


Cut the strip in half, in the middle.

Next, you will want your nested circle die. Choose the die that is almost the exact size of your project. Be very careful to position the circle die so it DOES NOT CUT THE SIDES of the folded strip. (The top and bottom of the strip will be cut.) Roll it through your die-cutting tool. Repeat with the other half of the folded strip.

Whoa, who needs a manicure? :-)


You will end up with two sections of (now rounded) paper.


Adhere the sections back together, over-lapping one full circle as shown.


Using a strong adhesive, glue the end of the section into the compact, making sure to line it up so the compact will close. I used E-6000 glue. It smells good. I love me some glue fumes!


Next, I gathered my photos. I had already sized my photos to a 2" x 2” square, though this is not necessary.

Choose a photo that will fit within the nested circle die that is one or two steps smaller than the die you used to cut the cardstock strips.

I found it helpful to use the sticky mat to hold my photos into position when I ran them through the die-cutting tool.

Adhere the photos to the circles. You could also choose to add journaling or decorate as you wish if you don’t have a whole bunch of rug-rats to squeeze into the album like I do!

Before you adhere the top photo, cut a tab from cardstock, and attach it to the top circle of the cardstock strip. This will make it easier for the recipient to pull the album out of the compact.


Go crazy and decorate your album up however you wish. You can use stars, flowers, butterflies--whatever! I chose a small flower. I am sure my boys don’t appreciate that, but it is for MY purse!

When you are finished decorating, tuck everything into the album, and make sure it still fits inside the compact!

Now we are going to decorate the top of the compact, and cover up the distracting brand name.
Grab your felt piece, and the middle sized nested flower die. You will need to cut two of the middle sized flowers, and one of the smaller size.

Take a section of ribbon, and loop it to create a “leaf”. Attach it to the bottom flower. I used a brad to make sure it held well.

Using your strong glue, adhere the bottom flower to the top of the compact. Then using hot glue (the other adhesive tended to soak into the felt) adhere the second flower to the top of the flower already on the compact. Slightly off-set the flowers.

Adhere the smaller flower, and your button.


You are finished! A cute mini-album that will hold up in any purse!


Now if I were giving this as a gift, I would probably include a card with a sentiment along the lines of “I couldn’t “make-up” a better mother/grandmother/mother-in-law than YOU!” to match the compact/make-up theme.

9 comments:

CRAZY4 CHRIST said...

O my goodness this is such a cute idea!! I will have to try and make one for my mom!! Thanks for sharing how you made it!!
Kristan

Peggy Sue said...

Love it! What a great gift!

Deneen said...

Shaunte how do you store you nestie dies?

April Derrick said...

Fabulous idea girl!

Izzy Anderson said...

This is wonderful, creative and fabulous in every way!

Anonymous said...

so cute .. thanks for sharing . .

Elizabeth Roessle said...

Fabulous idea!!!
Bjsssss

sandysewin said...

That is SUCH an adorable idea. And to think of all the mirrored compacts I've thrown away...

Erika Clark said...

I'm just coming across this on Pinterest, it is super cute! We all have used up compacts, so this is a freebie! Thanks for the inspiration. erika