Monday, July 03, 2006

It's the most wonderful time, of the year.....

So excited, cause July 4th is my favorite holiday. More than Christmas even. I love me some fireworks! Love the smell of the smoke, love the sound of the boom, and the little crackly sounds....love the flare of colors, but mostly love Sam and I sprawled out in the warm summer air on a blanket surrounded by all our kids.

We do this thing, that I used to do as a kid with my parents. Each firework is designated to someone, in order--and that is *your* firework. "Okay, the next one is Brendan's......ooooo, niiice one, Brendan..." We also have names for the fireworks...."oooo, a popcorn! Lucky..." There are squigglies, popcorns, waterfalls....

We are a strange bunch.

For years we have been going out to Thanksgiving Point, to watch the show. We get a great spot not far from where the fire department lights the fireworks off. We go out really early to get the great spot. We have been blessed to have such a great group of friends--we were all neighbors at one time. Since then, some have moved away, but we always gather for the 4th. The traditon started one year with a 5:00 barbecue out at our *spot.* Everyone brought meat, and a side dish, and someone brought a grill out, and we all had dinner.

We have morphed it into an easier: bring your own meal, and a plate of goodies to share. The kids never eat anyway, they just want to play. And the adults spend the time catching up until it gets dark.

I love it. Good food, good friends, and great entertainment!

Happy 4th everyone!!

6 comments:

Kay said...

Have a great one, friend!

Nikki said...

Have a great 4th!!!

~~Nik

Shantay said...

Enjoy your 4th!!!

Tracy said...

sounds like a great way to celebrate the 4th; good food and friendship!

Tracy said...

sounds like a great way to celebrate the 4th; good food and friendship!

Mary said...

Shaunte, I"m so glad I found your blog (I saw you comment on another friends blog and found my way to yours). So glad to be able to see how things are going for you and your family. :)

Mary Litton