Friday, June 30, 2006

The year was 1987


My mom told me I would regret it, but I so, so wanted "feathered sides." My aunt is a hairdresser, I set up the appointment for a cut and a perm and spent my own babysitting money to go back to Junior High in style. Apparently with a mullet.

I kept it for a little over a year, and then started the grueling process of "growing out" layers. I have never had layers again since...I remember it being so awful, and those metal barettes everyday.

Notice the pink/blue eyeshadow combination too. Thank you Maybelline.

We can talk about the outfit. It was a one-piece, crop pant jump-suit. It was my favorite. I wore it once a week. I could hardly wait to wear it again( ....oooo, its almost been five days....I can wear it on Tuesday again...! ) It had matching pink jelly shoes with a bit of a high heel. Tres Chic!

It looks as though I am without the token white beads on picture day, which is unfortunate, I vaguely remember struggling on picture day with my Windmere Skinny Mini curling iron, and the Aqua-net--which probably made me just late enough to not be able to hunt for the beads.

Clip-on earrings....check. (you could not get your ears pierced in my house unless you were the wisened age of 16)

I still had the mole then. On my lower right cheek. To my horror and dis-belief, in the tenth grade I found a (gasp!) small white hair growing by the mole. In my desperate disgust, I took the Lady Bic and shaved it....and the mole right off of my face.

The mole never grew back, but the hairs did. Boy, did they ever. When you hit your 30's, the tweezers are a daily necessity.

My mom warned me about that, the tweezing, she has a sweet magnifying mirror that makes it easier for her to see the stray whiskers now. I am sure I will need one too. I should listen to her more often, she told me I would regret the haircut too...

7 comments:

Angie said...

LOL! I had the one-piece pant outfit, too! And the feathered hair! Beads, check, jelly shoes, check...what were we thinking???

Anonymous said...

bwahahahaha! i totally have a pic with matching hairdo! we totally rocked it! (and still do!)

Kay said...

That is one sweet 'do, girl! I would have been IN AWE of those layers back in the day! And the tweezers? I'm with you, sister. Oh what fun!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I never had the hair for the feathered sides thing...too thin. And I'm giggling at the white beads---made me remember shopping for beads and being SO thrilled about having them in every single color. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have to say...I had a very similat outfit in navy blue. I totally remember the Earrings... I think I had those as well, the beads.Ah, yes, I had many sets and well Jelly shoes. Yep them too. They were the least flattering shoes, not very comfortable really either and any excess fat/skin you had squeezed through. Oh Goodness I am glad that fad is long over. It is amazing what we will do for Fashion.

htanks for allowing me to relive that time for a really brief moment.

Unknown said...

Oh my girl!!! You crack me up!! LOL!
I totally remember my hair being like that and the one piece outfits - oh my! I loved mine too. Had a few of them!
Ok, now I really have to get those visual images out of my head. So pathetic!

Jennifer Sizemore said...

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha. Nice hair and makeup - you could have been my twin, too - although I did not have it quite so short on the sides. And not even clip earrings in my house. You really were tres chic.