Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sometimes a few bucks goes a long way.

A few years ago my boys were really into Matchbox cars, they still are, but not to the extent they were those few years ago. They took them everywhere, I was constantly digging them out of the dryer after I heard the clunk, clunk, clunk. They took them into the bathtub with them-- and one fateful day, they were mocking Nascar and driving them around and around on the toilet seat lid. One of the more unfortunate race participants had no wheels, and as a result left deep gougy scratches around the lid of the toilet seat.

For the last few years, I have tried every cleaner available to man to keep those gouges clean. Cleanser, Bleach toilet cleaner, recently--Magic Clean erasers. When those scratches get dirty, the whole bathroom looks dingy. I have struggled with it for years.

Yesterday, while at Walmart, I looked into getting a new toilet seat. Just pricing them, mind you--for the wonderful gratuitous day when I would replace the bane of my existance. Guess what? To my shock and horror, a brand new gouge-free toilet seat was.....five dollars. FIVE BUCKS?!! I have spent more on cleaning supplies for the piece of crap (no pun intended) that I own now, than I would have spent REPLACING it years ago. Five dollars. I think I have more than that in the cushions of my couch. I bought two of them. Just cause I could. It looks so nice.

Even Mikayla was happy. This morning she woke up and said "mommy, remember our new toilet seat?" HA!

Sadly, I have done this a lot in my life.

Once I had a curling iron, that the plastic thumb thingie fell off. Everytime I used it, it burned my thumb. I got smart, and wrapped it with a bandaid (melted after a while), toilet paper(wouldn't stay put), and then electricians tape. Then I realized that a new curling iron was eight dollars. I figured I was worth 8 bucks, but not until two skin grafts later...

When my kids were potty training, and they had an accident that fell in the #2 category, I remember soaking and scrubbing those little power ranger undies. I hated that. And they never came clean. And then it dawned on me that I could pick up a four pack for five bucks. So after that I chucked them. It was so worth the dollar to not have to touch poop.

And mis-matched socks. I have a whole bin of them. I know this sounds crazy--but I threw it away. The whole bin. Cause you know what? A six pack of socks is like four dollars. MY TIME is not worth the sock bin. And everyone loves new socks anyway.

So people at VISA, if you are reading this, soon there will be a charge from Walmart for something insane like $25.00. I am in a mood.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously you have me rolling. same situation...moved into this house and the toliet seat was once of those granny foam seats...i was ticked but dealt with it...FOREVAH! until i too, saw the toliet seat deal at Walmart! bwahahahaha! at least i am not the only one!

Anonymous said...

You so make me crack up!
I also just buy new socks too, but at my house they all have to be white also!

Rox -

Susan said...

you are sooooo right!
I do this all the time. Isn't it crazy what we'll go through sometimes.:)

Wanda E. Santiago said...

Man you are my hero!! Hugs Wanda

Kay said...

YOU ARE TOO HILARIOUS! You just crack me up, girl. I swear, you can tell it like it is better than any person I know. I even have your blogs up with the famous ones on mine. You rock, Shaunte!

Anonymous said...

LoL! I do the throw-the-underwear thing away, too. SO not worth it. Thanks for the laugh tonight and congrats on your CK Idea Book pubs!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Funny what we'll do sometimes.