Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Old Fashioned FUN


This week is our town's celebration week. "Lehi Round-Up" week, which ends with a large rodeo, at least I think it is large. I am soooo not a rodeo person, so I really can't compare it. I did go on a date once to a National Finals Rodeo. I guess it was a big deal. I just remember how hard the benches were, and how bad I felt for the little calves in the calf-roping part.

Poor little guys, the gate opens, and they see, smell and taste freedom...running as fast as their little hooves can carry them, and next thing you know--they are flat on their backs with their legs tied up. Humiliation. I don't even know the point of that.

So, they have been having different events at the local museum, and park, and I have been trying to hit most of them with the kids. Yesterday they had demonstrations from the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. They taught my kids how to make duck calls with a drinking straw. (Thanks for that.) They had old-fashioned games and displays. The kids loved it.

Tomorrow night is the "poop parade," it is actually a stock parade, but my kids consider it a highlight when a gallant horse ( tail intricately braided with shining tassels) carrying a Fair Rodeo Royalty Maiden (how is their hair so BIG?!) stops to take a huge steaming dump. Some of the parade participants throw wrapped tootsie rolls and salt water taffy. That is such a great idea, considering the condition of the streets.....And the best part of the parade is at the end when the big city pooper scooper truck comes down the street with rotating brushes and sprays/splatters poo, then sucks it up into holding tanks. The kids dig that.

Thursday night. Good times had by all. And then Sam takes the kids to the rodeo. I have been once, and that was enough for me. So I am looking forward to a quiet evening without the rest of the fam.

Friday and Saturday there is a traditional parade with floats and marching bands and various city groups waving from decked out vintage cars. I love that. I love the sounds of the marching bands. I love seeing kids pulling wagons, selling ice cold pop for scout fundraisers. I love seeing friends I went to high school with, sitting with their own kids--carrying on tradition.

No comments: