Monday, September 25, 2006

Irony.


Sam bought me an iPod for my birthday. I love this thing! I am an 80's girl to be sure, and I love that I can pour all my [now vintage] classics into a teeny portable player.

I picked up running again. Got me one of those [extra large] tourniquet-type arm straps, and go out almost every morning. Before you roll your eyeballs...keep reading...

I have not been a real fan of running. But then again, I don't like exercise in general. I wish I did. I wish I was like those people who loooove a good game of tennis or soft-ball. But I am not. I hate the sweating, and the being tired, and the little voice inside my head that says "this is stupid, just quit. For the love of PETE, QUIT." And I always listen to the voice--the same voice that thinks since cookies have eggs and milk and flour in them, they are a suitable breakfast item.

Since the iPod, I actually enjoy the running. The 80's tunes, the fresh air, the thinking and planning of the day. I am up to 3 miles. Which, really, isn't terrible. I mean, I am not ever going to do the marathon thing, so I am okay with 3 miles. I look forward to the running--and the playlists I make for the running.

So I am thinking this could be it. The exercise that I like to do. And I am feeling pretty pumped about it during mile two, and then...

...my knee blows out. Seriously. If I would have had my cell phone with me, I would have made someone come pick my dumb butt up. As it were, I had to limp home. All day long my knee has been in pain. Not serious, but that up and down stairs takes a long time pain. Getting old sucks.

Irony. That I struggle with exercise, but do it anyway, and I am fine. Then once I find something I like...I can't do it.

I think it is God's way of telling me to just stay fluffy.

9 comments:

Shantay said...

Uggggh running....I have alwyas hated it! Always. But I have had more people tell me that if I bought an Ipod and had something to listen to...it wouldn't be so bad. I might have to give it a try!

I will tell you that I LOVE my ab lounger! Love it!

I just might try your running thing! And....3 miles!!! Way to go!

Mimi said...

I'm not a running fan, but I'm glad you are enjoying the iPod.

Ugh. Sorry about your knee.

Anonymous said...

I don't run either, but I am glad you have found a way to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! Wish I lived closer, then I could go running with you:)

Anonymous said...

SNORT! Love the stay fluffy remark. And can I just confess: I am pea green with envy over that iPod. I want one so bad. So... you are telling me it actually inspired you to run? Chalk one up in my "Why she Kelly live without an iPod" column.

Sorry 'bout your knee. That really bites. I hope you are not in too much pain.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, Shauntae, I'm glad you are falling in love with running. If you're able to keep it up, you'll also fall in love with what it does for your body! YAY you.

Don't look at the knee thing as a permanent thing. A lot of times when you're just starting to run, different joints hurt. They get better as you get stronger. Lay off for a couple of days and start again. You can SO TOTALLY DO THIS!!!

~Jamie said...

oh IPod! yaay! I am getting one for my birthday too! and I say oh well on the running... now you can eat some more cookies :)

Jennifer Sizemore said...

I think you are right - you and running are not fated to be together. After all, you can still enjoy your iPod doing something more enjoyable. Hope your knee feels better soo though!

And what is on your playlist??? I love the 80s!

Megan said...

ok post your playlists!