Thursday, April 09, 2009

Too much of a good thing.

Costco avocados are far superior to the mangy grocery store versions.
They are large, and don't have a million "squeeze" bruises, from other shoppers.

The problem is, you have to buy them in a bag of six.
The whole bag is usually not quite ripe.
And then...they all ripen at the same time.

Last time this happened, we took that trip to Nauvoo.
Our flight left at the butt-crack of dawn, so at the last minute, I stuffed our avocados in the neighbor's mailbox.

I was sad.
I really wanted to eat them.

This time, Sam and I have been checking the avocados daily.
Dreaming of avocado sandwiches...

He left for Moab on Tuesday.
We have been waiting for them to get ripe for four days!

I wonder if really old people dare to even buy them?

Anyway, guess what?
They all got ripe yesterday.

Now I have six avocados to eat BY MYSELF.
I have been having a sandwich for lunch, and for dinner.
I have busted through 1 1/2 of them.

I really wish they would have spaced themselves out.

They are delish, but the pressure I am feeling from trying not to waste them almost overshadows the joy.

And speaking of too much of a good thing...I have kept the girls home from school for a "home" vacation, because the boys are gone to Moab with Sam.

It wasn't my best idea. (<--She says smiling through clenched teeth.)

7 comments:

Kim said...

One word solution: guacamole.

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I was going to say guacamole as well. Or you can top the 7 layer bean dip with homemade guacamole for your girls day in. It's so good and with no boys around it's ok to eat beans right?

Leesa said...

Ok so I have had this same problem and some random cute little old man that I ran into at Costco (while I was contemplating puting myself in this same perdicament again) gave me some sound advice. He said take out how many of the avacados you want to ripen quick and leave them on the counter. Put the rest in the fridge (this will slow the ripening process) then remove them out slowly leaving them on the counter (the ones u want to eat) A little too late now, but maybe it will help you next time. :)

jacquie said...

I make guac just adding a couple spoonfuls of that yummy salsa from Sam's club. Grab my bag of chips and corona and I am in heaven :)

Kirsten said...

Trader Joe's. $3.99 for 4. But I know the whole all getting ripe at once thing....

Brenda Hurd said...

can i come hang with the girls and have an avacado sandwich?? Sounds delish!!