Monday, November 13, 2006

I don't know her, but I don't like her.

I share the same gym time with Perky Girl.

She checks her kid in at the same time that I do. She usually attends the classes, while I prefer to do my own thing. This mostly because I lack sufficient coordination to pull off a whole class. Especially ones that would require me to move my arms while moving my legs at the same time. I think I could keep up with most of the classes I have seen for the first five minutes, and then after that I would be the one in the back, jogging in place.

The classes at the gym are enclosed with glass walls. I am not sure if it is because humiliation is a great motivator, or for those silicone gals in the class who actually want the whole world to watch things bounce. The glass walls are right in front of the girly weight machines. I say girly because it seems like most of the men who attend the gym during mini-van hour are usually pumping free-weights in the back. It seems that hydraulics are for sissies--that the pulleys and pins are not as manly as rough-hewn plates of metal that make a satisfying clang on the floor of the gym when dropped.

Anyway, perky girl was in class today. She is always on the front row, up by the teacher. Kicking higher than the teacher. Doing more push-ups than the teacher. At a faster rate than the teacher. Boing, boing boing....her piggy-tails flying.... She runs to get a drink of water. Really. She ran. Across the gym to the drinking fountain...runs back, not wanting to miss a minute of that class.

Okay, I am a little jealous. Perky girl weighs as much as my third grader. And she sweats in perfect symmetrical patterns. She smiles while she works out. She loves the gym. It creeps me out.

Why do these people come to my gym? Honestly, if I get to the weight I am shooting for, I never want to go back to the gym. Ever. I think that it would be my reward. Congratulations! You graduated from the gym!

I can guarantee one thing. When I look at Perky girl--I know, I ain't never going to be that.

I would however, like to be able to fit into last years' winter attire. So I am still plugging along, basting in my own sweat. With the secret satisfaction that I have invested more into my work-out career than Perky girl....I have my own water bottle.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know - there is a perky girl at EVERY GYM in EVERY CITY in EVERY STATE. so sick of them, they make "fat" look good!

Anonymous said...

Bawahahahah!! You are the funniest craziest person that I cyber know! I keep saying that there should be a gym where only people who need to work out are allowed. Then once you get where you want to be....you could go to that other gym....the one where all the perky people go!

Keep pluggin along...you will make it where you want to be!

LOL!!! :)

Jennifer Stewart said...

You make me laugh more than anyone!! LOL!! Oh man, graduating from the gym. I cried laughing on that one. :)

I just love you! LOL
Jen

I'm so linking your blog on my blog. I don't know why I haven't before now!

Anonymous said...

Your writing skills are getting much better. Time for a novel I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! you are sooo funny and there is one of those at every gym.

Anonymous said...

LOL :) Perky girl IS everywhere! And I love your waterbottle comment.

Anonymous said...

you Rock! this is definately one of the funniest posts I've seen in a wgile, you go, you non-perky, water-bottle-toting girl, you!

Anonymous said...

ROTFLOL!!!! this is hilarious...and oh so true. i think perky girl has minions in gyms across america.

Anonymous said...

i think i am perky girl...oh, know that's right i am the perky one who is usually teaching the class!! :) you know perky girl may have been just like you when she first started working out...maybe you will become perky girl the sequel.

Anonymous said...

I think I know that Perky Girl. Seriously. She's blonde, right??? ;)