Sunday, September 07, 2008

One Year Ago today....

...I joined Weight Watchers.

Jayden had come into the house really upset one day. I guess he was arguing with one of his friends and that friend said to him "Your Mom is fat." He about beat that kid to a pulp over it. Bless his heart.

I never wanted my kids to have to stick up for me that way. I was embarrassed to be overweight. That kid was right, and it made me a weird mix of angry/hurt/and determined to change.

That and my fat pants were tight. Again.

I had a friend that had done WW and wanted to sign on again. That gave me the encouragement I needed.

So I went.

I was in denial still, thinking I didn't really need to be there. I thought the meetings were weird. I felt out of place, and then I really listened to the people at the meetings. They had the same struggles I did.

It was intimidating to sign on to the program. It was a lifestyle change. I don't like change much. And my Mountain Dew and Peanut M&M's didn't fit into the plan.

My first weigh in was a huge eye-opener. We didn't even own a scale at home, so when I saw that I was weighing in at nearly what I weighed when I delivered the twins, I was even more committed to the program.

Then I found out that the first weigh in determines how many "points" you get, and that each week you need to try to lose weight enough to be under your last weigh in weight. I turned to my friend and said, "Dang! If I would have known that, I would have put rocks in my pockets today, to make sure I was under the weight goal and I would get more points." Pretty crafty, I am.

And she very wisely said "If you are going INTO this looking for ways to cheat, it will never work for you."

That really stuck with me.

I was determined to be successful.
I followed the program faithfully.

I remember starving some nights, and being out of points.
I remember being very choosy during the holidays, and reluctantly passing on some of my favorite foods.
I remember making cakes and cookies that I would never eat.
And fitting exercise into our vacations.
Once I wanted to make out with Sam because he had just eaten a candy bar and I wanted to just taste chocolate...
Good times.
But...
I remember my pants needing a belt, and then eventually given away because they drown me.
I remember running without my knees killing me.
I remember hitting my weight loss goals, and being proud of myself.
And going shopping, and fitting into sizes that surprised me.
Calling Sam after weigh-in excited about my loss totals.

I hit goal weight, and then lifetime last February.

I have dropped a few more pounds since then, bringing my grand total to forty pounds lost.

My five year old weighs 40 pounds.

Granted, I hold weight pretty well.
My ancestors were a handcart pushin' sturdy bunch. Thank goodness for good genes!
When I gain, it isn't manifested in a bubble butt, or thunderous thighs.
We gain allll over, like a polar bear.

I did find some pretty great before photos though. Bad angles and all that.
Are you ready??
(Can't believe I am going public with these puppies...)
Behold BEFORE:

I know!
And AFTER:

I am not blogging this to get a whole bunch of "You look so great" comments.

I am blogging this because if I can do this, so can you!
If there are any of you reading this that are ready for a change, seriously, DO IT!
You can e-mail me!

I still hate exercise.
But I found things I can tolerate.
I still eat junk.
Just not as much.

You can't put a price tag on self-esteem.
Or the sense of accomplishment that comes from feeling like you are in control of at least one aspect of your life.
On for once NOT trying to ditch your old high school crush before he sees you at the mall.
Okay, so I still do that.
Only because I married my high school crush, and most likely he would have all the kids with him, and well...that's ditchable.

In closing, I would like to bear my testimony of the power of Weight Watchers...
Amen.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the thumbs-up photo on Facebook - you look completely amazing! I don't think you looked nearly as bad as you think in your fat photos, but I take your point about the difference both in physical appearance and in self-confidence.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I don't care if you want this or not...I'm telling you...YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!!

I think it's time for Peg to start WW, eh? I want to look like you!

see your skinny bootie in October!
CONGRATS!

Wendy Sue said...

You DO look great...but mostly you look (and obviously are) HAPPY. What an amazing accomplishment. Congrats - and thanks for sharing your success story! :o)

Kirsten said...

Sorry, but I have to come out of lurkdom to chime in with a "you look great" - I am lucky to just have that extra 5 or 10 to lose...and may I ask if you have any tips about cravings? I don't go eat the whole bag of chips, but sometimes I just cannot leave them alone!

Cori Henderson said...

I loved this post, thanks for the motivation. Since I had my last kid I have been down to a size 4 then back up to 8, then down to six then back up again, and she's only 2. Hopefully I can get the weight off once and for all, and stop yo yo-ing around. Thanks for the motivation. By the way, you DO look great.

Stacy said...

Holy crap honey...your a hottie!!! Thanks for sharing your sucess story. I'm in need of some weight loss encouragment. I had a baby 4 months ago and I can't get motivated to stop eating and to get off my butt and lose this weight. I am at my largest and it is killing me. But yet that still doesn't help me in making myself take the time to exercise. I think I have become the queen of excuses. I'm sure I am in denial. I actually even said that this is the week that I'm making the commitment so I'm hoping that after reading your story and seeing how great you look that I can stick with it. :) Thanks for sharing.

Shannon said...

I just have to tell you that you were inspiration for me to join the gym. Your post on you going to the gym with "Ponica" had me giggling so hard. I thought, why don't I join the gym. So me and my skinny little sister, we'll call her Misten, joined and enjoyed our first morning at the gym today. Actually spinning kicked my trash, but in a good way. Way to go on the weight you've lost. Hopefully I'll look as great as you in a few months.

Mimi said...

Awesome! You look great.

And, I made a similar journey in 2006, and am happy that I've kept it off as well.

Kim said...

wow you have done great and i know you didn't do this fishing for compliments but you look great and you are so right on so many different points. great job - see you at Getaway!

Ashley said...

Okay sign me up. I have been contemplating this for a few weeks now. You are an inspiration!
It was so fun to meet you today. Thanks for all the fun.

Sara said...

Can you be mt personal cheerleader?? Listening to you could be the motivation I need. I am NOT a happy gym goer! Oh & I have to say--YOU look FANTASTIC!!

Jackie said...

Ok, mother of 5? Wow thanks for the motivation. I am in much need of a success story. I joined WW over a year ago too, but (hummm) here I sit still all nice and fluffy! I fell off the wagon when the first ice cream truck drove by! But as of today after reading your post I am back on the truck! DId you do the core plan or the flex plan?

Mag Family said...

Congratulations. You look so HOT! I tried to diet once, and I needed chocolate, so I chewed a piece of snickers, spit it out, took a drink of water, swooshed, spit and then I swallowed. Pretty pathetic. I know.

Candice said...

You are hilarious and you look sogreat!! I am so happy for you!

DKay said...

Wanted or not - you look great!!!
Your post will inspire many I am sure. I can still remember your posts about exercising. You need to resurrect some of those. They had me laughing my butt off.

Anonymous said...

I guess now is a good time to come out of lurkdom and admit that your blog is the only one I read since I left the scrapbooking industry. You crack me up, and I love that you are REAL. You've totally inspired me to get up off the computer and exercise more frequently...you look freakin' AMAZING! I want to look like you!

laura vegas said...

i think it is so great that you stuck with it and stayed motivated. you look absolutely amazing shaunte!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm coming out of lurkdom to tell you this is exactly what I needed! I had joined WW two years ago and lost 20 lbs...I have sinced gained it all back and more, ugh! I started an exercize "bootcamp" last week and let me tell ya, they don't call it bootcamp for nothin'. But I need to get my diet under control...I'm headed back to WW now and hopefully with the workouts and the program I can get back to where I need to be...feelin' good about myself again!! Thanks and by the way, you look great!!

Scrappy Fit Chic said...

I admire your will power.
The problem is, I don't have any!
I did WW almost 4 years ago and lost 50lbs, I have gained it all back. Since then I have tried WW about 15 times and it lasts about 2 weeks and I give in. I get down on myself and then I quit. Your story really inspiried me. I would love to know more how you really you stuck with it, what do you have to tell yourself everyday to not eat all the good stuff. Do you know what I mean. I needed your post today more then you can imagine. Thank you!!!