Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Dubai Part Four (random stuff)

There are two major event days left to document in our Dubai trip, so I thought I would compile some random crap today.

Dubai has the strangest custom.

To show "status" they drive really expensive, fancy cars.
That is not the strange part, some folks do that in the states too.
The strange part, is in Dubai, to show further status, they pay tons of money for their license plates.
Not like what you are thinking, they are not personalized, they pay money to have a smaller NUMBER, or a cool number on their plates.

While we were there, this was the lowest plate we saw:
The lower the number, the more they paid for the plate.
Another example would be C 20202. Cause that is a "cool" number.

One morning my Mother-in-law Bonnie and I went jogging past an auction house. They had license plates available for auction. We never found out how much they were going for, but Brandon told us they could be in the $1,000's.

We hit the beach in Dubai for a day.
It was a beautiful, white sand, very clean beach.
There weren't many waves, I think because the area we were in was surrounded by land on both sides.
It is pretty cool to say we have been in the Persian gulf, though.
It was also kinda cool to have such a modern cityscape in the background.
We had to go and see SkiDubai- the indoor man-made(obviously)ski slope!
It was located inside the mall.
It was massive!
I am not sure what kind of insulation that building must need, what with the hot weather in Dubai, but it definitely had snow, and ice, and no shortage of people sledding, snowboarding, skiing, and otherwise paying to have their tails frozen off.
See this last photo?
The big clear ball looking thing?
I have never wanted anything so badly in my life.
That thing was giant squishy rubber goodness. It had an inner pod that you could climb into. Then it would haul butt, rolling down the slope.
I would totally roll down a mountain in that!
Sure you would get dizzy, but F.U.N.!!
And if you barfed, just hose it out, am I right?
I think it would be cool for water too.

We watched the slopes for a bit, and then Mikayla said:
"Are we going in?"
"Nope, just looking."
"UHHHH, no fair! I wish I could play in snow!"

Keep in mind, when we escaped home, Utah looked like this:
Mikayla isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

We also went to the Dubai Museum.
I guess I wasn't in a museum mood.
That, and in Dubai they over-air condition everything to the point of needing a parka. I busted out of that museum in record time.
The only thing I found intriguing was the bungled up taxidermy job on this poor bird:
I almost peed myself laughing.
Hysterically. With tears.
I guess you had to be there.
I blame the time change and lack of sleep.
But tell me this isn't funny? A little? No?
Okay, moving on then...

We also went to the Dubai (fail) Zoo.
It cost us about 30 cents a person.
It was worth about 30 cents a person.
I felt really bad for the animals. The zoo was one city block, and had about five billion animals all shacked up on it.
The giraffe had a habitat that was about 4 feet by 4 feet.
All the animals looked like if they could figure out how to hang themselves, they would be all over that.
They kinda gave you a half-hearted glance, and put their heads back down.
I swear to you, one of the birds was screeching "Heeeelp me, heeeelp me!"
I don't think I even took photos.
It was a sad sight.
Hold on, I found a picture:

They had cool doors in Dubai.
The really thick wooden ones you often see in foreign countries.
I am not sure why in the US we mostly have fiberglass crappers.
I really like old doors:

Took me a while to figure out what this sign was for. I thought at first it was for the bathrooms, as the little stick man appears to be desperately running...
This is their exit sign:
I don't mean to brag, but I figured this one out all by myself, even though it is in Arabic:
The food highlight of the whole trip, wasn't even a food item at all...it was a drink.
Non-alcoholic and everything.
Mint Lemonade.
Before you scrunch up your nose and get all gaggy-face on me...you need to trust.
It was the best thing ever!
It tasted like a whole glass of "fresh."
The lemonade was fresh squeezed, and then they pureed fresh mint leaves, and blendered it together.
Oh. My. Gosh.
To die for.
I am sooo planting mint in the garden this year.
It's gotta be good for you too?
It's green?
Here is a photo from the 1100+ I took.
It is cute of me.
Sam looks like he needs a helmet and possibly a bib.
I don't care.
It's going in the book anyway.
I never have cute pictures of me.
I hardly have any pictures of me, period.
Usually I am the one behind the camera.
Yes, I do feel better. Thank you for letting me vent that.

I thought this was funny:

And I am leaving you with something scarier than the picture of "special" Sam.
What in the hell may I ask is this?
You really need to click on it, and make it bigger.
Go ahead, I will wait. (With my butcher knife.)
Is it bigger?
Notice the foot, and the arms!
And the partially missing tongue!
(Hold me.)

There were TWO of them outside this store!
TWO!
And possibly more inside.
I didn't dare look.
You wanna see the other one?
I will give you a close-up:
In what type of freaky-deaky Stephen King factory were those things spawned?
Have a pleasant night.
Mwahahahahaha!

5 comments:

candi said...

i can barely freaking type for all the laughing i am still doing! you are a dang riot! seriously, you should be a comedy tour guide...take people places and your family and the location can provide the entertainment and laughs!

JoandDoug said...

A friend of mine introduced me to your blog and I think you're hillarious! I'm so happy to see you're writing again! My cousin posted on FB last night that she saw one of those giant inflatable balls at Cosco in Arizona! I couldn't believe they were real and I totally laughed when I saw it on here. Apparently your dream can become a reality for only $30!

Unknown said...

@JoandDoug:
You better not be teasing me! Thirty BUCKS?? I will be stalking Costco.

Sara said...

I don't know what's better seeing all the great pics or the commentary! And that dude on the motorcycle cracked me up!

Glen said...

LOL at you Shaunte...it's the way you tell them! TFS. ~Glen~