Monday, February 28, 2011

It's No Secret.

I am not a fan of winter.
I do not like slushy snow, or ice, or cutting wind, or any combination of the three.
I don't even like to open the front door, or walk all the way out to get the mail.

We had a good week last week.
It felt like Spring.
My stupid naive crocuses came up to see what was going on...and got bitterly slapped with a sneak attack of crappy snow.
Another storm.
Winter, you can just get the helmet outta here!

I guess the only good thing about winter is winter sports.
And since I don't like any winter sports, I guess there is nothin' good about winter.
Okay, I guess I do like a good sledding day.
Who knew?
I recently discovered this.
We have a family member, who prefers not to be named, that invited us up to their family cabin to do some sledding.
Cabin=fireplace, bathroom, and warmth. And treats.
That was my back-up plan.

My kids had never been sledding.
Or tubing.
Or anything winter.
It is totally my fault.
Judge away!
(This was before I got my electric blanket.)
And while you are judging...we also haven't taken them to Disneyland.
Go ahead and call DCFS, tell Lorraine I said "Hi."

Anyway, we loaded up all our cold weather gear, and even had to buy some.
We were ready for a day in the snow.
(Some more than others.)

It really was a perfect day.
Not really that cold, but the snow was piled up nice and deep.
We made our way up the canyon to the meeting spot, to get to the cabin.
It is a private area, and we didn't want a butt-load of cars blocking the road.
So we carpooled up the rest of the way.
My relative who Shall Not Be Named, let my kids get towed up behind the truck on sleds.
Now if my kids didn't do one more thing this whole day, they would have been happy.
This was by far, the most fun they had ever had in the snow.
(That didn't involve urine. And scout camp.)
When we got there, we were briefed on safety:
"If you see a car, bail off!"
"If you start to lose control, bail off!"
"If your mom is hauling balls and going faster than you...move aside!"

(I added that last one, but felt like in hindsight, it probably should have been covered.)
And then we were all asked to do a short trial run, to learn how to maneuver the sleds around a corner.
Then, we were off!
The private,(all deliciously downhill) road we were on, was just like a luge. Snowplows made walls of packed snow on both sides of the road, enclosing us in for safety.
The road was packed down, and covered with a light dusting of snow, so you could get some serious speed on.
Awesome!
I think I hit at least 90 mph.
Maybe.
I totally passed some kids, okay?
Only one was crashed into a snowbank.
Eat my dust, suckahhhh!
Turn baby, tuuuurn!
You had to get some rhythm down to make the turns.
It's all in the hips.
"Ooh baby my hips don't liiiiiie...(Shakira)"
And maybe I dragged my foot behind me a little like a rudder. Or an anchor.
I was going a little fast for my own comfort.
Snow dust is hard to breathe, man!

"Hey, mama wants a picture...slow dowwwnohwell."
See ya at the bottom, then!

And at the bottom, the relative who Shall Not Be Named, loaded us all into the truck, and hauled us back up the hill to go again!
It.
Was.
Awesome!
While waiting your turn for the luge, there were plenty of other things to occupy your time with.
Take for instance, the snow covered hill next to the cabin?
Yep. There's that.
Or inside the warm cabin there were delicious treats.
And hot cocoa.
Good times!
I was happy as a clam taking pictures:
Granted, they aren't great quality, but my kids are smiling!
Who knew snow was FUN!
FUN! I tell you!
(As long as you are bundled up, otherwise photographically occupied, and have a back-up cabin.)
And to my relative who Shall Not Be Named...thank you again!
Let us know how we can stay in your good graces for next year.
Do you like bowling?
Call me!

3 comments:

Mag Family said...

I don't like the snow either. In fact I wonder why we even live here. Looks like you had a fun time. Maybe if we had a nice cozy fire when we go tubbing we would like it better......nah, it would still suck.

7packofbearss said...

You crack me up. Tyler really misses Brendan. We need to get together soon.

Heather said...

I can't believe that I am about to write this - but I feel jealous!