Monday, October 24, 2011

Forgive my depressing ramblings...

My grandpa Hunt passed away last week.
He was my last grandparent.
I have been in a funk since then.
I have had lots of rambling thoughts about it all.
I think the transition is what has made this passing so hard. Knowing that he is the last of "that generation" in my family and except for some sort of tragedy (knocking on wood) the next funeral Sam and I will attend will be for one of our parents.
And then we will be the ones putting the photos and memories together, writing down life sketches (how much do I really know?) , and trying to maintain some sort of composure, while feeling orphaned.
It sucks.

If I were to wish for an ideal way to die, my grandpa certainly nailed it.
He was kicked back in his favorite recliner, legs extended, ankles crossed, BYU blanket pulled up to his waist, and remote in his hand.
He fell asleep during the game, and woke up in a better place.
I joked that typical of a man, he tried to take that remote with him when he went, but reality is, he took nothing.

We take nothing.

That has been on my mind too.
Everything you work for in this life:  a nice home, nice furnishings, a decent car, a gym-healthy body...
It all gets left behind.
You take your experiences, your education, and relationships: connections you have made.
It all seems so simple, and yet, so easy to forget that it works that way.
What really, truly matters.
You also leave behind a legacy of how you lived your life.

My grandpa was a huge advocate of temple work.
The day before he passed, he did three sessions.
After my grandma passed six years ago, I think the temple work kept him busy, and sane.
He missed her so terribly!
So he immersed himself in service to others, because that is how he was.

A humble school teacher, who loved his Father in Heaven and his family, and his fellow man. In that order.
He and my grandma somehow raised a family of ten children on a schoolteachers salary.
That man taught junior high for 25 years.

I have the pleasure of three junior high aged kids in my home this year.
Three of them.
I have been very close to taking up alcohol.

I am not sure how he did it, being around hormone-riddled kids all day long, but he loved it.
He said he loved the kids.
And that love was reflected in the number of former students who came out of the woodwork when he passed, expressing their love for him.
He touched a lot of lives.

When I think of my grandpa Hunt, I think of patience, and quietly doing the right thing, with no desire for recognition.

He was ready to pass on.
Can you imagine being ready to die?
I am scared...because clearly, I still have some work to do to feel ready to meet my maker.
That has been another thing on my mind.
The legacy I am leaving behind.
What will my family remember me for?

The final gift my grandpa gave me was a new perspective on my own life.
I feel like I have been living in neutral.
Not a bad person, but not a person who is making an effort to be better.
I am pretty content to be sitting on the fence, and happy to be lazy.
I am not saying that tomorrow I am going to be joining up with the Peace Corps, but there are definitely changes that need to be made.
I am ready to make them.
I have people on the other side that I would like to be proud of me when they venture a peek down.
People that need to know that I remember their lives, and want to live like they did.

“What a wonderful thing is death, really, when all is said and done. It is the great reliever. It is a majestic, quiet passing on from this life to another life, a better life. I’m satisfied of that. We go to a place where we will not suffer as we have suffered here, but where we will continue to grow, accumulating knowledge and developing and being useful under the plan of the Almighty made possible through the Atonement of the Son of God”
(President Gordon B. Hinckley at the funeral services for Robert G. Wade, Salt Lake City, Utah, 3 Jan. 1996).

12 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

What a BEAUTIFUL tribute to your Grandpa. I agree...death helps me to take a look at my life and see where I can do better. Thank you for a great reminder of what is truly important in this life.

Sara said...

That was a beautiful post. My deepest sympathies with you & your family.

Bell Family said...

Great post :) Really well written. I think Grandpa made everyone strive to do better in one way or another.w

Beth Hallgren said...

So sorry your Grandpa passed. You write so eloquently. I've been struggling with the same issues, totally on the fence. My Mom passed 2 years ago and my Grandparents are gone too.

Jillian said...

I usually skip over post that are not craft related, but for some reason yours caught my attention. I just lost my grandmother recently, the last of her generation too.

Thank you so much for sharing. It is true, we put off changing for the future, and this reminds us that the future some day comes to an end.

I am praying for you and your family. That the Father would fill you with peace that surpasses all understanding and a deep desire to move, that it would last beyond your sorrow.

Thank you.

Penny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penny said...

I loved your grandpa! He was an amazing person. I'm proud to have known him. Ours prayers are with you.

Mimi said...

I'm so very sorry to hear. May his Memory be Eternal.

Sierra said...

This was such a lovely post. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost my Grandpa over a decade ago and you know something? I miss him so much still to this day. He was a Navy guy also and I have the same kind of photo of him on my blog. When I pulled up your blog and saw your photo I gasped!

Not depressive at all. Endearing and sweet. Hugs to you...

dstandard said...

Hugs Shaunte! It's never the right time to loose someone you love no matter what the age. I still miss my Grandpa and Grandma even after all these years. I only have my mom left - my Dad died the day I started HS. Sympathies for you and your family

Kasey said...

So sorry for your loss Shaunte. I have one grandparent left and it is sad to thing he is the last one. I know exactly what you meant. Your grandfather sounded like a great man. I am guessing he was very proud of you. You are a great person inside and out.

Helen L said...

Beautiful post about your grandfather. Hope you find some comfort in your memories of him. I'm LDS too, Living in the SF bay area, Calif. Where do you live?
Found you through the May Arts/Echo Park blog hop. Love your creations and blog posts!!