Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Here's the punch-line: "Hobby Lobby."

That place is a joke.
I am not sure if you have one in your neck of the woods, but I need to just show you their ad, if you haven't yet had the pleasure.
Can you read that?
Yeah, well neither can anyone else.
I swear. I need reading glasses, and a Red Bull to get through the thing.
I fall asleep after the second text-crammed little box.
But it doesn't end there....no, it does not.
Because the employees and management of my Hobby Lobby leave the whole thing up for their own personal interpretation.

Take for instance the day I went in when "Photo Frames" were all 50% off.
I took a long time picking my frames out.
I took my frames up to the checkout.

Let me interrupt myself here for a minute to explain that, every time I have gone into the store, there has been one checker working, and a line practically back to the fabric. I figure that is on purpose. The line winds itself through all the knick-knacks, and a few things I DO NOT NEED always fall into my damn cart.

So I make it to the holy grail....the cashier, and she starts hand-keying in all of my items.
Some of which, I notice, are not 50% off.
"Hey, Carol" I say, noticing her name-tag, "according to your ad, all of your photo frames are supposed to be 50% off."
"Yes" says Carol, "but this is not a 'photo frame' this is a 'picture frame.'"
"Whaaaaat?"
And she further explains that a photo frame has an easel on the back of it,while clearly a picture frame does not, and is meant to hang on a wall, and therefore is not 50% off.

She said all this, in that smug tone of voice that you would use on moron.

"Silly me!" I said, "I dun thought 'photo frames' were them things that ya jest stuck yer pitchers in!"
I made Carol call a manager over.

I told him how ridiculous and misleading the ads were, and that it doesn't specify the type of cock-eyed BACKING as a means of dividing "frames" into specific categories.
He gave them all to me for 50% off.
Reluctantly.
"This time only!" he said. And stormed off.
The next week, the "picture frames" were 50% off anyway.

So, I had been watching the ads for a certain item to go on sale.
And last week it did.
I don't buy many things for scrapbooking, since I have a stash that would make a hoarder blush.
But I wanted these self-adhesive Rhinestones and Pearls.
Remember, I am part squirrel. Shine and sparkle are in my genes.
So the ads rolls out, and I notice that "All Paper Studio Embellishments: 50% off!"
So I hit the store on Monday morning, cause last time they went on sale, all the other squirrels in the valley beat me to the store and cleaned the shelf out.
Here is what they look like:
I brave "the line" again.
With my four packages of bling.
I get to the cashier, and find that she does not ring my bling in for 50% off.
What gives?
I am starting to feel personally targeted.

"Your ad says that all Paper Studio embellishments are 50% off."
"Oh, these? These are not embellishments, these are stickers."

Internets, I feel like I am well-versed in what an "embellishment" is, and I also darn well know what a "sticker" is.
I have been scrapbooking since 1996, when all that we had to choose from was Mrs. Grossmans, Paper Patch, and deco-edged scissors.
Just in case, though, let's check the dictionary, shall we?

em·bel·lish·ment [em-bel-ish-muhnt]  

noun
1. an ornament or decoration.


So Hobby Lobby can kiss my butt.
I brought the manager over again.
He argued, I argued.
He finally caved, even though I have the sneaking suspicion that he remembered me from "Framegate 2011."


Do I feel vindicated?
No. 
It is not like I am trying to pull a fast one. 
Or even trying to get something that is NOT supposed to be on sale. I am reading their stupid poorly laid out ad, and playing by their nonsensical rules, and I have never yet had a smooth transaction.
I feel exhausted after every trip.


I will never shop there again!! (shakes fist!)
(See ya tomorrow, you evil squirrel catcher.)


This week should be a good week!
Just look what is on sale! 
And open to all kinds of sales-person interpretation!



13 comments:

Sharyn said...

:) Makes me glad we don't have one within reasonable driving distance. I hate having to argue logic. But men's resin - I might have to make the trek!

Amy said...

Are you kidding me!! I'm so mad reading this that I want to send it to the Hobby Lobby high ups! That is seriously misleading. Good for you to get what you came for. I hope they had more people complain about that stupid interpretation!

TeenaBugg38 said...

AGREED!!! I have to fight for whatever I want to buy on sale there....and I'm not afraid to call the manager either....and I can and have gotten loud.....they hate that.....lol

Alisha said...

I have always wanted one, but now that you have explained they suck. I think I will stick to my Michaels, and JoAnnes awesomeness. hobby lobby has crap adds. wow. Hope you find a better store.
alisha.moorenielsen@gmail.com
http://scrappin-happens.blogspot.com/

dstandard said...

LMAO - CAN SOOOOO relate - I have a HL here and have had the same treatment - the only time I go now is to pick up the 1/2 price adhesive. AND I agree whatever you fought so hard to get priced right will be next week's 1/2 off! Oh top of that I got most all my Copics there and I think when they realized that they excluded Copics from the Ink Markers - ugh!

JoandDoug said...

That's so funny. I seriously share the same feelings. We googles "men's resin" and came up with wristwatches and jeans. What? So confused! I love it!

ana roat said...

I go my first die cutting machine for 50% off at Michael's because they forgot to put up the sign that excluded all sizzix products. That was on the day was released. They only had 6 on hand and all 5 of my groupies got one at the sale price too. The manager was hotter than a wet hen but oh well...snooze you loose dumb-ass!!!

Send corporate an e-mail. Raise a stink! Who knows maybe you'll get a 50% off coupon for your trouble (wink, wink)!

Anonymous said...

ROFL - wow ...well I certainly understand and have gone through the same thing at some of the HL. It's like I almost cringe taking things up to the register that are supposed to be on sale because I am always preparing my self for a fight! However, I do have a HL close to me that I love so I hate that you have had such a bad experience at that one.

Danielle Flanders said...

You are too funny! I love your sense of humor! :) Men's resin? Now that's strange!! I don't even have a clue what that might be!

Unknown said...

LOL!! Oh my goodness!!! I would just love to come shopping with you one day!!! I'd be peeing myself, I'm sure!! ;)

Helen L said...

Up until your post I had been feeling sorry for myself that we don't have a Hobby Lobby here in Calif. Now I'm kinda feeling lucky :-D Thanks for the entertaining and enlightening post :-)

Sew Crafty Austin said...

I'm such a HL junkie (I go at least once a week) that I know which checkers are more lax on the interpretation of the sales ad. heeheehee

lucy said...

Haha. How about when their ad says ALL fleece 50% off. I ask to have 2 yards cut and notice that she doesn't mark the fabric slip as 50% off. She said, "Oh, but this isn't fleece it's batting." It clearly states insulated fleece on the bolt end. I had to ask her to call the manager. I got the same response: "This time only". Nice to know I'm not being singled out but, it shouldn't be a problem since each time I go there they have a different manager.