Sunday, October 02, 2011

Mini-Me.

When you ask Mikayla what she wants to be when she grows up, she will tell you she wants to be "a scrapbooker."
Aim high.
I know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
And really, she just wants to be crafty like her mama.

She is my constant companion in the studio.
She gets just as excited about new product boxes landing on the porch as I do.
And the girl is creative, I will give her that.

I never, ever want to squelch her desire to create.
That being said...how much crap can one house hold?
Last week, I bought her a box of 1,000 craft sticks.
They were gone in two days:
Also a whole bag of hot glue sticks.
And this bad boy is about four feet tall, in real life:
Is is a bat?
These weren't the only projects she painstakingly crafted.
Oh no.
These were the projects that we couldn't sneak into the trash without being noticed.
Now before you get all "my mom" and "judge-y" on me.
The girl has been cranking out crafts...large-sized crafts, for about six years now.
There is only so much room!
She ran out of wall space in the studio, and started on the ceiling.
There are billions of these streamers!
They are kinda cool, until you are busy crafting one night, minding your own business, at 2am, cause you procrastinated a deadline....and a couple of swirly ceiling streamers spontaneously crash to the floor.
You better not have a full bladder when that happens.
I also want to note, for the record, that this girl went through an entire 500 sheet ream of colored copy paper in six days.
I thought the colored copy paper would be cool to have, to run off some of my own stuff.
500 sheets, that basically went into the trash after they were "used up" by Mikayla making things.
Internets, I am torn.
Here is her bedroom door:
How much weight can a door hold?
How much tape can the paint take?
I am not a picky house-keeper. I believe a house should be lived in. But her bedroom is right off of a main area?
Like I said, I have never remotely discouraged this girl from her projects, and I don't really want to, but I am reaching that point of cracking.
Little messes everywhere.
Constantly being out of supplies.
Having nowhere to store the latest masterpiece.
I am going to have to come to some sort of happy medium. Soon.
This last week was bad.
She discovered toothpicks.
And the apples from our tree in the yard.
She made many hedgehogs, and blow-fishes, and suns.

HAVE YOU STEPPED ON A LEGO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT?
Yeah, well....try one of these!

I need advice.
And podiatry-atric toothpick removal.
Help.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Sounds like it's time to take some photos of her work to scrap and thow the stuff out! I think I have even seen an "art gallery" idea somewhere that you can make with the photos you take of her stuff...good luck Mom! My boys are grown but even now I have a few things I saved....just not all of them. =)

Beth Hallgren said...

Just wait until she starts wearing rock t-shirts and writing poetry on her mirror! Once she drew Koi on the upstairs bathroom mirror and cried because my hubby washed it off with the disgusting toothpaste and pimple juice (I have a teenage boy)Blech!

7packofbearss said...

I like the art gallery thing. I saw one in a pottery barn magazine once that had a board with different lengths of rope hanging from it with clothes pins all the way down. Then they took artsy photos of all the masterpieces then hung them from the clothes pins. It was cute and crafty... she could help make it. Since I am considerably less crafty we have boxes. When the box is full they have to throw the least favorite things away.

Danielle Flanders said...

sounds like my daughter! she loves to color and draw and make things...every single day my house is covered in projects and i feel bad throwing them out, but geez! (thinks she gets it from me!?) lol