Monday, October 03, 2011

I am blaming Walmart.

I know. 
Two posts within 24 hours.

Don't get used to this type of frequent posting, but today I just have to vent.
We just had General Conference weekend.
For my non-LDS friends, every six months, we have "pajama Sunday." (<--my term, not a church term.) It is where our prophet and church leaders broadcast messages, and we watch it on TV.
It is my favorite.
The messages are always inspiring, as is the dress code, and the junk food.

I like to have a project to do, to keep me occupied.
This weekend, I decided to paint the master bedroom.
Sam even volunteered to help, which was a Christmas miracle, in and of itself.
I decided to paint the room the same color I painted our downstairs.
It is a nice neutral brownish/greenish depending on how the light hits it.
It is called Lyndhurst Mushroom:
Weird.
That doesn't look like the color it is.
I think my computer monitor is jacked.
Anyhoo...I looked up the color number, and went to Lowe's to get the paint chip.
I planned on taking the paint chip to Walmart to get their Kilz paint.
I really like Kilz. It is one coat goodness.

Well the number online didn't correspond to the number in the store, of course, so it took a minute to find, but eventually I did. (Important to note.)

Took it to Walmart.
Well lo and behold! Walmart no longer carries Kilz brand, but replaced it with Glidden.
The little paint guy swears it is the same quality and thick goodness as the Kilz.
It is not.
Definitely not.

But that is not my vent for the day.
I hand him the paint chip. He then proceeds to try to find the paint number on his little machine to match it.
He can't find it.
I told him the numbers had changed and don't match up.
I told him three times.
He was like one of my kids.
Cocky, and no way is he going to listen to me.
He then explains that he can just scan the paint chip and get it "pretty accurate."
"Dude," I say, "I can't do "pretty accurate" because I have some touch-ups to do, and I need it SPOT ON."
"Please try this other number."
"I already looked up this paint, the computer doesn't have it" he said.
I shove the number at him.
He looks it up, and it pulled up. Huge shocker.
So the paint gets mixed up, and I leave happy.
(As a side note, Mikayla asked the paint guy for several stirring sticks, because she thought of "a project.")

The next day, I paint. Sam helps. Our room looks so pretty.
I take my little trimmer cup full of paint, and a brush, and happily go to town on the downstairs level, touching up spots.
Furniture ding! Gone!
Nail hole! Disappears!
Possibly a booger! Goodbye!
I felt like a fairy, swiping my foam wand, and making alllllll the imperfections disappear.
It was better than wiping the walls down. Scrubbing walls is for suckers!

So this morning, this is what I woke up to.
And this:
And more:
Awesome.




6 comments:

Mag Family said...

Well that sucks. I like the color. Now you have an excuse to paint the whole downstairs again :) I would be in heaven, Jeff would not. He says our house is getting smaller, cuz I paint so much. Nothing better than a fresh coat.

Jenn said...

that happened to me with Walmart paint, in the old house. I feel your pain...

ps. why in the h? did they get rid of kilz? I loved that paint...

Cammee said...

I loved Kilz too. Walmart, not so much! Whatever you do just suck up the loss, under no circumstances go to pergatory-- otherwise known as the Walmart customer service line. Everytime I walk by there I feel the need to offer my condolences to those in line. Behr plus is as good, if not better than Kilz, and they can actually mix paint correctly at Home Depot.

Alissa103 said...

Ugh! I had that happen with touchups, too. I didn't want to repaint the whole bedroom after my "touchups" looked like, well, yours ;) So I ended up getting another can of paint rematched at another store (turned out much better) and just repainted the entire wall where the touchups occurred. I was super careful in the corner to get my line straight down the corner. You can't tell that one wall is a *slightly* darker shade than the original.

Deneen said...

wow I would be so mad! I tell my husband all the time I don't have road rage I have wal-mart rage every stinking time I walk through the doors of that place (I think I should learn LOL)

Brandon Wu said...

Hi thanks foor posting this