Friday, October 21, 2011

My Recipes

For a long time, cooking something would require me to thumb through a three-foot stack of dog-eared and batter-splattered recipe books, magazine clippings, and printed pages.
I could quickly find the recipes that were in rotation the most, but to try to find my seasonal recipes, or my lesser-used recipes took some time. And frustration. And usually I just gave up, or called my mom or my sister for the recipe.

About two years ago, I started to dabble in creating things digitally in Photo-shop.
I made a simple template for a recipe card.
I have saved the digital file, and now, whenever I try a new recipe, and my family approves of the recipe, I copy and paste the ingredients and cooking directions right into the digital template.
It is sized as a 4x6 photo, so then I can just send that sucker over to Costco to print as a photo, and then slip it into my recipe book.
My "book" is a 100 (double) page photo album.
I got it at Walmart for 2 bucks.
Gone are the recipe books that I kept around for two recipes!
Nice to have everything in one place.

I mention this for two reasons.
One: so you guys will think I am cool. And organized. And awesome.
And two: because occasionally I share recipes on my blog, and I want you to realize that you can right-click on the image, save it, and you too can print it, as a 4x6 photo.

Now, if you feel so inclined, I wanted to also share with you my file that I use to create new recipe cards.
You can download it (for free) here:
RECIPE BLANK
When you open it in Photo-shop, you will have the option of changing out the background on the recipe cards. If you need me to walk you through that, just shoot me an e-mail.
I won't think your questions are silly.
I taught myself Photo-shop.
And I am seriously challenged.

Fall is in full swing here.
Our apple tree dropped a load of apples.
I don't mean to brag, but our apple tree has the best tasting apples ever.

It is a Jonathan tree. It didn't used to be.
We have a neighbor that lived kitty-corner from us.
One day they asked us if we would be willing to plant an apple tree in our yard, so it could cross-pollinate with theirs? They brought us the tree.
We planted it.
And then I realized they bought us a Red Delicious apple tree.
Red Delicious apples are the worst.
They are always tasteless and mushy.
I dug that tree out in the middle of the night, and replaced it with our Jonathan.
I felt so dirty...trading the tree our neighbors gave us. I was young.
That neighbor moved.
Now that tree is giant. And NOT a Red Delicious.
So glad I didn't stick with the crap tree.

I have been dehydrating apples, and making apple-y things.

Let it be known, that I strongly dislike cooked fruit of any sort.
But these two recipes I am sharing are not too bad, in spite of the fact that they are cooked apple based.
The first one uses cream cheese.
Honestly, I would eat anything with cream cheese.


And this last one, is in case you have escaped apple season without feeling the need to do something with a bazillion apples...may I present Peanut Butter Fudge. I have shared it before, but not as a recipe card.
It goes well with apples.
Just not Red Delicious.
Also, since this is the first time I have shared a down-loadable file, someone needs to be a guinea pig, download it for me, and let me know if it works on your end.

4 comments:

Mag Family said...

Way cute idea, and I would totally do it if I had photo shop. Christmas gift......anyone.

Ann said...

Question on the apple cake recipe. Step one for the filling directs to ad flour and vanilla, but there is not flour or vanilla in the list of ingredients for the filling. This cake sounds yummy. Can't wait to try it.
P.S. I love this blog!

Unknown said...

Thank you Ann! I don't know if you are checking back here, but the recipe is corrected. I sure appreciate you catching that! :)

Deneen said...

I tried to download it but it wouldn't open kept saying unexpected end of file was encountered. I will try again and see if it works.