Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reluctant Mentor

You know, I have mixed feelings when I have a child tell me that they want to be "just like me" when they grow up.
On the one hand--very flattering. On the other hand, when it is YOUR OWN CHILD telling you this, you wonder how you have failed to teach them to "aim higher."
Mikayla has always been my shadow.
She is very crafty.
I knew at a very early age that she was going to need her own chair in my studio, and perhaps her own Expedit Wall in which to stash her crap.
For her 4th birthday, all she asked for was Glue Dots.
I am not kidding.
Here she is, on her 4th birthday.
With her own glue dots.
She didn't really care about any of the other gifts.
I have blogged about her love of crafting before, but it appears now, that she has a plan.
I am just trying to prepare the crafting world.
When I came back from CHA, I had a few samples from manufacturers to try out. I was showing Mikayla some of the new stuff, and she brought out a notebook.
This was new.
She asked questions and took NOTES.
"Who gave you that?"
"I think I would use that for...."
"Are they a nice company?"
I asked her what she was doing, and she said that she was deciding who she wanted to work for when she was a scrapbooker.
Okaaaaay.
(She is eight!!)

Occasionally I will get some extra things from a manufacturer, and I tell her that they sent it to her.
She totally lights up at that.
So imagine, how happy we both were, when we opened a box that appeared on our doorstep last week.
At CHA, I had a little time to wander the show, and stopped in at the Imaginisce booth.
I was a guest designer for them a couple of months ago.
I like to personally thank companies, when I can, for sending me things to play with.
I was admiring their iBond (a freaking CORDLESS glue gun!!), and telling them how Mikayla and I often fight over outlets when we are both working on things.

Imaginisce is a great company. They were very generous with the box of goodies they sent me to work with, and were appreciative of the work I did for them. I told them that, and went on my merry way.

A couple of weeks later, they sent me (us!) this:
One for each of us.
Like every other mama out there...you make my kid happy, and I will love you for the rest of my days.
She has been pestering me for a week to crank out those bad boys.
She has a long list of projects in mind.
I felt like I needed to express my thanks, and take some pictures of the iBonds before we junk them up with glue and glitter.
Thank you, Imaginisce!

And y'all be watching for Mikayla, oh, around 2032.
You are in her notebook.

2 comments:

Mag Family said...

That is so cute. I wish one of my kids would take an interest in what I do, but alas, they must be aiming higher:)

Heather said...

So the crafty gods blessed your womb with a rare off spring! When I am crafting - on an almost daily basis -not a child can be found that wants to help - except for metro-man parker. I finally told caitlin that in order to pass off one of her YW goal 10 hour projects she needed to spend tens hours with me making tissue paper balls, sugar cookies, and working with washi tape. I saw some eye rolling going on.....you may not want her for Jaden after all!