Friday, February 03, 2012

Back from CHA, and Service Cats

I am telling you what, being away from my stretchy yoga pants for five whole days was a sacrifice.
I barely survived.
And the way we ate, I could have used an elastic waistband.

This morning, I got the kids off to school, and went back to bed.
I slept til 11:00.
Apparently I was tired.
The show was good, and very entertaining with the people watching.
This is why I have chosen to break up the experience into a couple of posts.
I have to introduce you all to my new friend Kelly.
I was looking through my photos to try and find a picture of her where she looked bad, so I would look better, but I don't think she has taken a bad picture.
Ever.
I wanted to hate her, but she was too awesome.
And she held her liquor better than most in the group.
(I am not naming names here, because then April would be mad at me.)
Here is our group:
Core'dinations Staff and Booth
While the rest of us were slaving away on crowd control, and taking orders, Kelly was doing what she does best: Token Booth Hottie.
And new this year: candid photographer.
You too, will be thanking Kelly for her photos.
She has skillz.

This year at CHA there were several dogs walking the show.
Dogs as in animals. Stay with me, people.

I have never noticed this in the past CHA's I have attended.
There was one legit seeing-eye dog, one of those big ones, like you commonly see.
I am totally okay with that.
But there were a couple others that were just furry little puffs, about the size of a loaf of bread, on leashes, and wearing embroidered vests that titled them as "Service Dog."

Now I am not one to judge things that I clearly do not understand.
I was wondering if this also entitled the dog owners to a front-row handicap parking stall?

Those service dogs were walking the show...several of the booths this year had white carpet.
I am hoping the dogs weren't "full service" dogs, if you know what I mean.

My parents own duplexes that they rent out.
My mom has a strict "No Pets" policy, so she was surprised one day when she received a phone call from a potential renter.
"I know your contract says 'No Pets', but I have some service cats, and I wondered if that counted?"
Service cats.
My mom asked her what the heck a "service cat" was.
She replied that her therapist prescribed cats as a means of therapy.
Enter "service cat."

Now Internets, again, I am not one to judge.
But I think it is strange that our forefathers survived the cruelties of life without plumbing without the aid of service cats, dogs or gerbils.
I am probably going to lose some readers over this, but "service cats?"
Really?
I prefer the old fashioned method of eating my feelings in the form of fatty carbs and chocolate.

Needless to say, no matter what title you give them, cats are animals, and that lady did not get to rent the duplex.

But we think she came to CHA!
I am pretty sure there is a "service cat" or rat underneath this triple bump-it.
And this chick (I think it was a chick) was rocking the "service peacock" bangs and "service lemur" tail.
I guess service animals is a new trend.
I wanted you all to be in the know.

All I have is service children.
Although they do not have fancy vests and they are virtually worthless, I could totally get on board with the leash.




10 comments:

Bell Family said...

Seriously, service cats?? I would have laughed my head off if I got that phone call! And that bump-it is killer. Great post :)

7packofbearss said...

Cats don't provide therapy they cause a need for it. I know because I have 2 of the damn things. One caused me to need therapy when I had to climb 50 feet into a tree to get it out and the other caused an extra session for an unnamed child of mine when it got squished in the garage door. To top it off both cats survived so after the therapy bills, I still have to buy them food.

Service cats.... HA!

Wendy Lojik said...

Thanks for the Awesome read today:)

Kathy said...

I see "service animals" at work at Costco all the time...we have to let them in. But please tell me when the poor little dog is shaking uncontrolably what service are you doing for that animal? Alas, it's not my place to judge either so I just smile. =) It was great to meet you at CHA...love the cute Make n Take!

Christi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer Burrhus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

It looks like someone has linked my blog to some service animal message board. Welcome! I am entitled to my opinion, which incidentally were meant to be tongue in cheek. Apparently you have all chosen to take offense. I hope your service animals can help you get over my insensitive comments.

Anonymous said...

I can't get behind the idea of a service cat. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Service dog, yes. I have one and he has given me my independence back. He does everything Icant do for myself.

There is no way I can justify anyone using a cat. Can they be trained? Sure. Reliably? Doubt it. If your service cat is being chased by a dog and you say "come", its not going to. My dog will.

According to the ADA, cats can not be service animals. Some states will allow it, but you are screwed if you ever need to go to another state.

This is right along the lines of people that swear they need more than one service dog. That is just not reasonable.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.