Monday, May 07, 2007

gotta have a hobby

Have I mentioned before that my father-in-law owns a bowling center?

I married into a semi-professional bowling family. It is inevitable then, that my kids would bowl, and even I would dabble a little in bowling.

For me it is purely recreational, but for them, well....that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

The first year we were married was hard for me. Sam bowled on a couple of bowling leagues and "had a life" so to speak, outside of our happy little connected-at-the-hip coupledom. When we dated, he would drop bowling league to be with me...and after we married....meh. He begged me to get a hobby of my own...well, not begged, exactly, but said he would be happy to support one. (Thus, scrapbooking...) So, that first year we were married, he informs me that we would be going to Reno, Nevada to participate in "Bowling Nationals." I may have laughed. It sounded so official. Like it was trying to be the Superbowl. And it is! For bowlers, anyway.

I tagged along, and I was amazed really, how serious these bowlers are. Each bowler brings an average of five ball to bowl with. Each ball is for a different and specific lane condition. Are you ASLEEP??! Yeah, I was too. But apparently, if the lanes have been oiled excessively it warrants a ball with a certain shell on it, to perform better in the oily conditions. Then there is a ball for dry (not oiled enough) conditions, and a ball to pick up spares only...I am telling you, there is some sort of science to the whole thing. And these bowlers can carry on whole conversations about the oil PATTERNS on the lanes!? "Yeah, I had a rough time getting anything to carry the last few boards...I mean, it hooked so early..."

There is a whole new world in competitive bowling. Silly me, I thought you just had to aim at the pins, and knock them over...

They are very serious about the Bowling Nationals thing. There is a dress code, and you have to be very quiet, and they have to check the equipment in, to be weighed, and tested. It was an experience to say the least.

Sam and his family go every year. It is their tradition. I haven't been since the first time, but now that I have my own *ahem* hobby, I don't mind him going.

There is some good money to be won, if you bowl well. So far, Sam has done about average each year, basically paying for the trip, with a couple hundred extra. Of course, if you talk to him, he did awesome, and "made" $1200.00! But...realistically, by the time you take out entry fees, gas money, hotel money, food money, and somehow there is always a couple of mandatory golf games, he breaks even. That is where he was this weekend. Bowling his little heart out. (snicker)

I am glad he had fun.

But I am pretty sure that *I* made more $$ this weekend on my hobby what with the scrapbooking assignments and stuff.

4 comments:

Calene said...

Okay, and I seriously thought my dh was a dork because he showed "registered polled herefords" and his dad actually paid over $25,000 for ONE COW, um I mean, HEIFER. But, this...Shaunte, is almost....well, uncomparable. LOL

Mickey Family said...

wow! i didn't realize Sam had so many balls!

Shantay said...

Your family is awesome!!! Seriously...is there anything that isn't funny!?? That is awesome though...that you all have your little niches!

Anonymous said...

Shaunte- I still giggle when I go bowling and have to ask for a 'Ball Insert'.

btw...I now want a tshirt that says:

White Trash Nascar Scrapper

hehehehehe......