Sunday, May 13, 2007

happy mothers day.

You know, had I blogged last night, I think I would have blogged a classic entry. A tirade of sorts about how much Mother's Day should be synonymous with "horsecrap"<---or something much less family friendly.

I have always hated Mothers Day.

I hated it as a young child, when it felt like every time I turned around, I had to be nice to my Mom for another WHOLE DAY.... like her birthday, wedding anniversary, Mothers Day...and when was there a "Kids Day" anyway? And my Mom would always tell me that "everyday was kids day" and I would roll my eyes at her.

And then I hated it as a single young adult, when I wanted to be a Mom, but was having a hard time finding someone that was remotely interesting to even date. The daydreams I would have of an idyllic Mother's Day, full of sunshine, and hugs, and smelling of lilacs.

Now I dislike the day for other reasons. For the fact that it is just another day, but somehow I always hold onto the hope that Sam will pitch in and make dinner, or look for the missing church shoes, or even for-go his own Sunday nap, to keep the kids quiet while I crash for a couple of blessed hours.

But no. Most of the time, I have picked my own gift, gotten gifts for my Mom and Mother-in-Law, made dinner(lunch and breakfast), gotten the kids ready for church, cleaned up after the meals, helped the kids make cards for the grandmas...all this while Sam takes in the Golf tournament on television, scratching himself, precious remote in hand.

I was so spitting mad last night, this year he "ran out of time" to take the kids to the Dollar Store to let them choose me a gift. He had to go into work. So I took them over. I waited in the car, and sent them in to choose presents. It is not that I wanted gifts, I just want to teach the kids to give. Not a hard concept, but "he ran out of time!??" Are you kidding me? Walmart started pimping out Mothers Day crap the day after Easter!

So I woke up a little crotchety this morning, expecting the worst.

And guess what folks?

It wasn't a perfect day. The kids argued like normal. Sam never did get me a gift, not even a card. My fat dress felt tight. We were late to church, and had to sit on the hard chairs. But...my attitude was different. For no other reason, then I think that my Heavenly Father wanted me to feel special, to feel like I am a good Mom, I had a good day.

I was grateful. Grateful for five little kids that call me Mom. Grateful for five fun foam picture frames that they made for me in their church classes. Grateful for a husband that picked up the ball today, and made sandwiches for everyone so I didn't have to. Grateful for the simple fact that we are all healthy. And yeah, grateful for the Dollar Store crap that my kids picked out...mostly to see how proud they were of the selections they made. (hair-brush, white-out, some colorful (fugly) hair bows, nail clippers, and Junior Mints)

See, it was all in my attitude. I am glad, that for today, I was able to find that happy place. (And without caffeine, I might add)

I know that some of you who read this probably struggle with Mothers Day too. Maybe because you are missing a child, maybe because you aren't able to have children, or your children are grown and gone, or maybe for the petty, annoying things I mentioned....and for some reason you didn't feel special today.

I want you to know that I think you are pretty wonderful.

That, Mom, everyday WAS Kids Day growing up in your home.

That, Jen, I was thinking of you--

And all of my "CB" friends, that I know at any given moment would let me vent about anything, pull my wandering toddler off of 780 west(with no "where the "H" were YOU judgments), or even vacuum my carpet if I asked.

I am amazed at all the women in my life, how even as impersonal as a computer hooked to the Internet seems, we have become friends.

That we all "get" each other, and strengthen each other, laughing at our stupid mistakes, and knowing that we don't have to pretend to be perfect to be good women and mothers.

Thank you all for your examples to me..and Happy Horsecrap Day!

6 comments:

Amy B. said...

thank you. I'm another Horsecrap day woman too. I hate it for all the glowing "my mother was perfect" talks every year as well as the fact that I live close enough to my mother to feel like I need to go make her day special so it's her Mother's day, not mine.

I had a good one this year too and it really was about my attitude (and there was chocolate attatched to the traditional pansy from church. ;) )

Anonymous said...

happy mothers day shaunte! love that picture ... you have such beautiful kids!

i thought it was pretty funny a few days ago when my youngest declared that she was going to have a "sarah day" for herself and everyone would do what she wanted! lol!

Mickey Family said...

You nailed it.

Lora3677 said...

Thanks... I needed to know that someone other than me felt it is horsecrap.

Alex said...

Yep... you always do express things perfect girl. I usually only get a couple of hours to do what i want. Most of the day is still taking care of the family and doing stuff for MY mom. And yes... Bob did take Alex to get me a card. Friday before Mother's day, only because i was going to the doctor and i TOLD him to LOL.

Anonymous said...

Hppy late Mother's Day. Your post cracked me up & choked me up at the same time. :-) I share your feelings about Mother's Day, but there is so much to be grateful for, so thank you for reminding me. Great photo of you & your kids.