Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful

Sam works the graveyard shift on weekends.
As a result, his sleep patterns are pretty messed up.
Sometimes it is frustrating, to have him still sleeping in the afternoon.

At night, I usually go to bed, and leave him watching a movie.
"Come to bed" I say.
"I am not tired."

The day before Thanksgiving, he slept in longer than usual.
I had to make sure he was still alive...

"What time did you go to bed last night?"
"After three."
"What were you doing?"
"You don't want to know."
Since he knew my imagination could conjure up something probably worse than what he was actually doing, he quickly explained that we had a MOUSE! in the house, and he stayed up to make sure it caught its demise.

A little background here.

I am deathly terrified of mice. That puts it mildly.

I am not actually sure there are words in the English language to describe my terror of mice.

"They are more afraid of you than you are of them."
That is a lie.

We had an unwanted visitor last year, and I almost put the house on the market.

He found our vulgar little house guest IN THE PLAYROOM!
WHERE MY BABIES PLAY!

He set a trap, and then blocked the door off by shoving a blanket under the bottom.
He watched the disgusting rodent go up to the peanut butter laden trap, run OVER it, and to the other side of the room.
Good quality trap, right there.
Then the offensive fur ball ran towards the door, was confused at it being closed off, and headed for the other side of the room.
In the process, the germ-infested creep ran over the top of Sam's slipper-clad foot.

(Sam is narrating this story, half asleep)

He said this is where he was only slightly embarrassed to admit that he squealed like a teenage girl, and did a rapid two-step that would have made his old clogging teacher proud.

As he skipped around the playroom, shaking himself, he realized he lost sight of the enemy.

Then he looked down.
Under his slipper.
And there it was.
Paws up.
Dead.

I am not sure it was being stepped on as much as being a witness to 190 pounds of man flitting about in slippers and underwear that did him in.

Whatever the reason, I am grateful it is gone.
And thankful that my husband loves me enough to leave me out of it.
Also thankful that my kids are old enough to clean out that playroom today without their skittish pansy of a mother.

12 comments:

Jenn said...

BAWAHAHAHA! Another funny wadley story for the records. I am with you on the mouse thing, I would have been down at the Best Western...

Deneen said...

Shaunte oh my my I can't seem to read your blog with out laughing my head off. Sorry you are afraid of mice I totally understand as I have a very real fear of the dreaded spider and I agree whole heartedly I am definately more afraid of them than they are of me!

Cori Henderson said...

I hate mice too. Since you had one, I'm setting traps tomorrow! Yuck! Good job Sam, what a hero!

Peg Graham said...

He killed...RATATOUILLE????

(teeheehee....screamed like a teenage girl. Classic!)

Leesa said...

I am right there with ya and the filthy little varmits. Hate em! How did you not hear him scream? My husband would have woke me up to catch the dang thing. What a hero!!

laura vegas said...

what a guy to protect you all! and smash anything that would cause you harm. lol! although joe would have totally gotten me up to take care of it. lol!

and i hear you on the graveyard hours. joe works nights. and on his days off ... he'll be up the entire night watching movies (because his body is used to being up all night). and then as soon as we all wake up ... he decided to go to sleep. so convienent!

Anonymous said...

Oh shaunte, you will have to get jenn to tell you my mouse horror story,my worse nightmare ever, lets just say it involved driving down the highway in an old grain truck, how i ever kept that tank on the road is beyond me. deathly afaid of mice, your husband deserves a medal, i'm still waiting for the manicure, pedicure, massage, dinner and movie!!!jenn thinks i deserve!!! I still cringe when i think of it.

Paige and Jason said...

If you hate mice you would definetly hate coming to my house. My 12 yr old daughter has 2 very large VERY male rats that she just loves and adores and plays with on a regular basis. Kinda funny but rats are considered the #2 best animal to get your kids second only to mans best friend. Im sure it still wont change your mind hu?

Dawn Knapp said...

I'm right there with ya sister! Although a mouse pales in comparison to having a bat in the house. Trust me. Those suckers look small but when they're in your house they look like Teradactyls.

Kasey said...

I hate them too! We had a problem a few years ago and one ran over my foot. I about died. Then I had to put one that was still alive in a bag out to the trash. Just remember if there is one there is more. The family is set up in the Wadley duplex now..and they aren't leaving.
Love ya!

Steph said...

You have a good husband there!

I used to live in an oooooold apartment building and once ran into a mouse as I was getting out of the shower!! Thankfully I had cats at the time and locked them in the bathroom with said mouse until I knew it was dead.

Sara said...

HAHAHAHAHA!! That part about him jumping around screaming like a girl was hysterical!!

I'm not a mouse fan unless his name is "Mickey". Ewwwww! YUCKY! GROSS!! ICK!! Great job Sam!!