Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Making a list...and CHUCKING it twice.

My kids have been unable to complete their homework, as of late, as their poor little hands are all cramped up.
They have been feverishly working on their Christmas! Lists!
Here is a sample of just one of my little darlings' Holiday Wish Lists.
Some of the items on that list include:

PS3 80GB Game System
Recharge Station
Remote
Wireless Controllers
Five or six games (Santa can just pick)
Guitar Hero World Tour Super Bundle
Portable DVD Player
Video iPod

This list...

The list went on for four pages.
That's right folks, college ruled, one item per line, FOUR PAGES...
And he assures me he is not finished.

I told him Santa would not be bringing him a whole bunch of expensive things.
"Why not?" he said, "he just has those elves make everything for free."

"Well, honey, someone has to pay the elves for all their hard work."
"Dad and I usually pay Santa for some of the expensive stuff..."
I was sweating! I didn't know where I was going with this.
I had to go into "labor laws", and "minimum wage"...to keep alive the LIE that is SANTA. Sigh...

It would be a lot easier if the kids just figured it out.
I know, I know, it would lose some of the "magic", but man! Santa gets a lot of credit for just sitting around in a red velour track suit.

Back to the list.
And the disappointment that will ensue for this kid come Christmas morning.
I can get on board with number 51: Soccer Ball.
Number 71: Boondoggle stuff (he went to Scout Camp, okay?)
Even number 73: Alvin and the Chipmunks Soundtrack.
A little annoying, but at least I KNOW WHAT IT IS!
The rest of the list has things like:
ZX Turbo
and Jetrax TG
(???!)
And, if Santa could not figure things out either, or if he just happened to have some extra room in that sleigh of his...I especially enjoyed number 53:

Covering all the bases, right there.

I think it would be entertaining for "Santa" to teach him a lesson on being greedy.

Maybe "Santa" could donate all of his allotted Christmas Funds to a charity.

Better yet, "Santa" could wrap up the utility, dentist and his emergency medical bills all stamped with a "Paid in Full, Merry Christmas!"

Or perhaps, "Santa" could wrap up a manila envelope, full of photos of this kids horribly-messy-should-be-condemned, apparently MOUSE INFESTED room, at various times throughout the year...accompanied by a festive North Pole letterhead correspondence card with the words:
"You Fail."

14 comments:

Cori Henderson said...

So funny! I haven't ever seen a list like that one. By the way, we have mice too. I'm thinking of getting a cat.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is dedication!! That must have taken days to write :) My ten year old knows there is no Santa so she just asked me for a laptop, a Blackberry flip and a digital camera. The camera is a yes but I made it very clear that I don't even own a laptop or a Blackberry yet and she is not getting either one before me!

Lora3677 said...

WOW! I guess I'm lucky that the 6 year old wants a scrapbooking tool and measuring tape. HA!

laura vegas said...

that is a very detailed list he has! i guess i shouldn't complain about sarah's one page list. lol!

Anonymous said...

About 5 years ago, we started the "3-gift rule" with the kids (from Santa). Christ received 3 gifts at his birth and we told the kids they shouldn't receive more than HE did for HIS birthday so they are allowed 3 gifts only. It works great! They have to narrow it to their favorite 3 things. It works quite well. One year, my son wanted 4 things and he asked me "Why weren't there FOUR wisemen?" . WE put the extra item in his stocking - it was a small thing. When the kids ask why other children receive more than 3 things from Santa, we explained that it was OUR rule and we told Santa that is how we want it done in our home.

Good luck with those lists! You have to admire their dedication :o)

Kristen Swain said...

wow- I think I'm glad my kids don't really write the huge lists- at least they usually wait til the week of- by that time everything is already under the tree.
A few years ago DH and I got tired of Santa getting all the credit for all the money that was spent at Christmas, so now Santa only brings a couple presents, and the rest are from DH and I- more credit for us- easier to explain away any greedy behavior with explanations on the economy- and much easier to take back gifts to the store for whatever reasons.

Cammi said...

that list is a crack-up!

Anonymous said...

I am a lurker coming out to let you know that you CRACK me up! I love your blog. You are so funny and I can always count on you for a good laugh. Kids are fun aren't they? That is A LOT of stuff but it did make for a good blog post. I am really glad that I only have one to buy for although they get more expensive as they get older. Have a great holiday season and keep the great post coming:)

Deneen said...

We had some two pagers around here the last couple of years but this year with the girls being a little older and the economy they all got together and told their dad and I that they think we should just get the wii as a family gift. (the funny thing is that is what we had been planning on getting them LOL)

Ashley said...

LOL!!! I love the detail. My favorite thing was the lego catalog that came in the mail with a pull out Christmas list. ugh! I am glad my son hasn't figured out a 4 page detail of everything he wants :). I think you should keep the list (maybe include a few prices of items and then give it back to him say 20 or 30 years down the road :).
We have a one gift $50 max for Santa gifts. He has many people to visit and hello I don't want all the glory to go to Santa :).

Jennifer Stewart said...

I laughed so hard reading this. Love the "money" listed...you know, just in case. Noah is 8 and has known about Santa for two years. :( He just got all logical on me and said, "yeah, so.....there is NO way possible Santa could go to every single house in the world in one night....so....he's not real, right?" lol He knows the mantra, though...."you don't believe, you don't receive."

Don't tell your kids that, though, seeing as how they are BIG believers! :) It would be pretty funny to actually look up all of those items on Amazon.com and do a total amount of what it would cost to have everything on the list. What a great scrapbook moment. lol

Jen

Peg Graham said...

I let my kids pick up to 10 items as a 'suggestion' and assure them Santa will dole out what he can with Mom and Dad's 'Santa Budget' $250 per child MAX.

Batteries are always needed and can be costly when you have a bunch of kids, so they look forward to getting those in their stockings too...that's included in that $250 per child rule.

Anonymous said...

It almosts makes me want to tell them that Santa isn't real. Not quite, but just a bit. I love the FOUR page note. #53 cracks me up.

Kasey said...

Holy crap girl! That is a long list. Connor wants a Wii and Caitlin wants a new pair of shoes. I told Connor Santa has to buy the Wii so he might not have enough for it. Shh got one today with my grandpa's money. Can't wait to see his face!