Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Christmas List part deux

I loved this comment from one of my blog readers, Marti.
Thanks Marti!
About 5 years ago, we started the "3-gift rule" with the kids (from Santa). Christ received 3 gifts at his birth and we told the kids they shouldn't receive more than HE did for HIS birthday so they are allowed 3 gifts only. It works great! They have to narrow it to their favorite 3 things. It works quite well. One year, my son wanted 4 things and he asked me "Why weren't there FOUR wise men?" . WE put the extra item in his stocking - it was a small thing. When the kids ask why other children receive more than 3 things from Santa, we explained that it was OUR rule and we told Santa that is how we want it done in our home.

Good luck with those lists! You have to admire their dedication :o)

I really want to start this in my house.
I broke it to the kids last night.
They seemed to be fine with it.
The kid that wrote the list?
Already found a loophole.
"Mom! That will be great! Cause one of the gifts Jesus got was GOLD!
A GIANT! BRICK! of GOLD!"
"Yes," I said, "but then the other two gifts were Frankincense and Myrrh, which are basically deodorant and cologne. So if you are okay with that being the other two gifts, then we are set."

18 comments:

laura vegas said...

a great idea actually! we don't usually spend all that much on our girls ... but it can still add up. i like the idea of just 3 gifts each. and it forces them to think a little harder about what they REALLY want.

Alex said...

BAHAHAHA.... love it!

7packofbearss said...

good idea. we have had that same problem at our house lately. and the "we have to pay santa" excuse isn't cutting it here either. lying gets so complicated sometimes.

Jennifer Stewart said...

You know, they DO make huge chocolate bars with gold foil wrapping. LOL

Love this idea. :)

Jen

Tina said...

We are implementing the three gift rule this year...one of the boys' gifts is a blanket, they picked out their own fabric, so no big surprise...but everyone of them has asked if their blanket is done yet for Christmas :)

Lisa Johnson said...

Oh my gosh! I totally LOVE that and even though my daugther is only 2 and has no idea about presents yet I am DEFINITELY implementing that rule with her when she's old enough to understand! Thanks for sharing that comment (and thanks to Marti too)!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so flattered that you (and others) liked our tradition so much, Shaunte. Too funny the "gold" comment!!!! That made me LOL - literally. Merry Christmas!

Sharyn said...

We've done that too - with the same logic. I broke it down then, on the suggestion from a cousin, and focus on getting one for the mind, one for the heart and one for the hands.

Mimi said...

Bwahahahahahhaa. Deodorant and cologne, that'd work.

This year, the boys each chose a big gift, but usually, it is something to wear, something to read, something you want, and something you need.

All8 said...

Good Luck! Maybe you should tell him that he can't have the gold until HE gets a gold brickin' job.

Sara said...

I love the 3 gift rule!! You've got a smart kid to figure out the loophole!

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

We did the 3 gift idea last year and it was heaven! Santa can only bring one gift because he has so many kids and we wouldn't want to take a gift away from another child. He fills their stocking and gives them the one thing they really want. He doesn't really drop off a ton because I wanted my kids to say thank you and have someone to thank for the majority of their Christmas, so we give the 3 gifts. It's easy on the shopping, wrapping, and deciding. Go for it!

Lora3677 said...

that is an awesome idea, really... and it reminds them of the true meaning of Christmas. :)

Jen Gallacher said...

I love the way you make me laugh out loud. A Brick of Gold--so "your" kid. LOL! Are you coming to lunch tomorrow?

Meg said...

Can I just say I am rolling on the floor right now, this post and the last one! You always make me laugh. Good luck with all that. Luckily my oldest only knows how to write his name, so we don't have any lists yet. He does want an iPhone though. He's 4. He's going to be disappointed on Christmas morning.

Heather said...

Don't even ask me how I found you - I saw a picture on another blog and you were there eating lunch - I was like "Is that my skinny friend from Utah? You look soo good!
We miss you guys!
I'll try to blog stalk you now!

Cammi said...

bwahaha!
thanks for the good laugh :)

Heather said...

Too funny.. as usual.