Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Let it snow! (But only minimally.)

Well, folks--it looks like Christmas is still going to come.
As much as I pretend that it may go away if I don't venture out to the crowded stores full of cranky people and those super cinnamon-y smelling pine cones.
It is still coming.

I need to finish up on my Christmas stuff.

Of course, this is the week that Winter chose to come to Utah.
Here is the view from my front porch:

That would be my husband's truck.
He will have to scrape it, in order to go to work.
My van is tucked into the garage...
That is literally the only way I would ever leave the house in winter.
If I had to scrape every time...gloves or no gloves, it wouldn't happen.
It barely happens anyway.

The kids have been cooped up inside the house.
The have asked to go outside and play in the snow, and I keep saying "no."
Why?
Because I can't face the four foot pile of wet: gloves, mittens, scarves, coats, snow-pants, boots, socks, and ballet-tu-tu's. (<---don't ask, it was some "Nutcracker" thing last year.)
I barely manage the laundry, and Winter came.
Thanks Winter!
Love ya.

So since the kids have been cooped up in the house...they have been at each others' throats. Fighting, wrestling, breaking things, crying...I turn up the Christmas music super-loud to drown them out.

What the festive? It's fabulous here!

Finally, in a fit of desperation, (Brendan was particularly ornery), I told him to get on the treadmill, and DO NOT GET OFF until you have gone ONE MILE!!
He needed to work out some of his aggression.

I hear the treadmill crank up, and I hear the thunk, thunk, thunk of his men's size seven shoes. (He's ten.)

And I go upstairs to think of something for dinner.
After a few minutes, I go downstairs to grab something, and I hear this weird whizzing sound coming from the treadmill...


He has flipped the wheels out on his Heeley's and is kicked back, and coasting his mile on the treadmill.

Today all the children will be shoveling snow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh those wily kids!!!

laura vegas said...

as soon as you said "whizzing" ... i knew what he was doing! that is the funniest thing! leave it to kids these days to make anything and everything easier for them! lol!

i was just telling someone that when the kids start fighting in the car ... that i crank up my radio super loud to drown them out. great minds think alike!

Janet O. said...

You just described my house, down to the 4 foot pile of wet...and I am thinking I need a treadmill now.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! That is hilarious!!!!

7packofbearss said...

Same stuff going on here. I tried the treadmill until the older ones stuck the small ones on it at 10 mph and laughed themselves silly when they splat against the wall.

Deneen said...

I see you have not raised a dummy pretty smart if you ask me LOL.
Now if he can just figure out how to shovel snow easily.

Deneen said...

I see you have not raised a dummy pretty smart if you ask me LOL.
Now if he can just figure out how to shovel snow easily.

Cori Henderson said...

Funny. He knows what to do.

DKay said...

apples don't fall very far from the trees, huh??

Peg Graham said...

Now see...IF you had let them play OUTSIDE in the snow, it might have been worth the mess, eh? Always send kids outside on a snow day, silly woman. Always. Because, they will always, always argue and gripe....because snow to a child is the BEST and they have a NEED to play in it! (especially, if there's no school).

Now...send some of that cold, white stuff my way. I don't mind scraping windows, shoveling a sidewalk, and I'll be the only grown up playing in it too! Wah! I WANT some snow!!!

Heather said...

Eww.. I don't even want to come up there with all of that snow! Yikes!

Leave Brendan alone - he came up with the smartest workout ever!

Jodi and Mandi said...

Shaunte,
I've blog stalking but I thought I would say Hi. I love your posts they make my day. I noticed you commented on Amy Dalley's blog. How do you know her? We went to high school together. It's fun to see your family.