Monday, August 07, 2006

The miracle.


One day the crane came back, to put the roof(s) back on the new addition. We had a large gathering, mostly family and my SAHM peeps that thought it would bring some variety to their otherwise ordinary day.

Sam and my Dad are up in the new addition. They are brandishing 2x4's like little kids under a pinata, pushing and turning the roof until it was finally in position.

Then all the spectators hear a pop. It sounded like a nail gun, but it was actually the cable HOLDING THE ROOF.....snapping. "That can't be good," my dad says, not really knowing what the sound was. The crane operator was white as a sheet. There was nothing that could be done, but to finish placing the roof. So they did.

They pulled the cable in. There are 7 strands of cable wrapped into one large twisted mass. Five of the seven strands had snapped. Two strands, about the size of juice box straws, were all that were holding the roof from crashing down on the new addition, my Dad, and my husband.

The cables are tested every year, to 48,000 pounds. They estimate my roof to weigh in at about 5000. It should have never, ever snapped.

Miracle? Yes.

Not only would I be out a husband and a dad, but who would have finished my broken-down house?!

Afterwards, Sam asked me if I was snapping pictures of the whole process, (which is really sort-of offensive, considering my job) and I said of course I was.

Him: "So, would you have kept taking pictures if the roof would have fallen on me"
Me: "Yeah, probably."
Him: "Would you have scrapbooked it?"
Me: "Well....out of respect, I probably would have waited a year, and then I would have done a mini-album."

Priorities, people.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE CRAZY!
I am glad Sam and your dad survived and that the roof looks great. MORE PICTURES PLEASE!
Wendy Lojik Wendy

Jennifer Stewart said...

Woman, LOL!!! You are a nut! I sure am glad they are ok. Wow!

Jennifer

Mimi said...

Bwahahahaahahahahhaah! oh that's funny.

Glad things are moving along nicely.

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL!!!!!!

Kelly said...

Glad everyone and everything is safe!
How freaky!
Your entries always crack me up. For some reason I always think back to being 7 years old at a sleepover and getting yelled at for giggling at 2am whenever I read them...lol You crack me up!!

Anonymous said...

I SO needed the laugh your blog gave me tonight! Glad that roof is back on, though...I don't know how you've dealt without it!

Jennifer Sizemore said...

Only you could find the funny side in that story! Glad all is well.

Anonymous said...

LOL you crack me up girlie! But so glad to hear everything turned out ok!!

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Answering machine effect outdoor bake ovens brutal blowjobs usc license plate frames Free hardcore sex videos teachers beavis and butthead kick barney's ass Bdsm needle play Mexican amateurs Amateurs plumpers pics Bose aviation headsets reviews general electric hotpoint gas dryer repair Small business independant health insurance missouri Stories adult bbw