Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Food Storage Powdered Milk Cocoa Mix

Back in the day, Sam and I worked at building a one year food supply.

I spend evenings at the local cannery, canning soup mix, flour, sugar, and lots of powdered milk into #10 cans. We collected cases of beans, and corn, and filled our whole basement with food!

The twins were babies at the time, so I did a whole lot of powdered milk. I wanted to make sure we would be okay with the babies if we needed to use the food storage to live on.

So, now the twins are 8. And I still have a whole lot of powdered milk. The shelf life on this stuff is debatable. I have been trying to rotate the food supply, so it stays relatively fresh. And honestly, nothing is nicer than having staples on hand, all the time, for those nights when you don't feel like running to the store.

Anyway, I was happy to run across a recipe online that used powdered milk as a base for hot cocoa mix. We did a test run tonight. It wasn't sweet enough for us, so I tweaked it, and tweaked it again to make it convenient with the measuring, and the end result was a rich chocolaty hot cocoa that we all loved.

So, if you have some powdered milk in your food storage that needs to be rotated, this recipe is for you. Otherwise I guess you could just go out and buy some Stephen's or whatever.

1 #10 can non-fat dry milk (approx. 12 cups)
1 (16 oz.) bottle non-dairy creamer (I used the Walmart, Great Value Extra Rich)
3 c. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder (I always use Hershey's only, I think the taste is way better)
2 (2 lb.) bags powdered sugar


Mix everything together really well. Store in an airtight tupperware container. Or two. Or three. Mix up 1/4- 1/3 c. mix to one mug full of hot water. (Depends on the size of the mug)

I tried to find one of those coolio Cocomotion machines, but everyone is sold out around here. Sigh. We had to resort to plain old peasant mugs o' cocoa. Nothing frothy.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - we have a similar recipe we use in our family, but it uses Nestle Quik instead of cocoa powder. That might take care of the "not sweet enough" problem.

I enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Wally has a better version of the cocomotion. I think it is called coco-latte, back to basics brand. It is under $30. Good Luck... Jenn

Amy Sorensen said...

lol...your blog always cheers me up! Someone told me that you can use old dry milk as fertilizer, so that's what I did with mine. I've rotated and used and continue to can flour, sugar, and pasta, but the milk...not so much.