Monday, December 10, 2007

Do YOU know Wendy?

Remember my fabulous purse? Lime Greenie. Greenie the BEST PURSE EVER?

Well, I went and ordered one for a Christmas gift for someone who reads the blog, so I am not going to say who, but anyway, ordered it. Got free shipping. I was happy.

Then a few days later, the brown truck drops off the package, and I tear into it, and WTH? I ordered the blue one, and in the box was a luscious warm chocolate brown. Ah crap. Joann's screwed up. So I set it on the counter, and put it on the "stuff to do tomorrow" list.

The next day...brown truck comes again. Another box. From Joann's.

I open it, and inside that box was the blue purse.

So now I am in a quandary. I check my bank account, and I have only been charged once. They have sent two. What to do?

So I dig out the packing slip to find a phone number, and lo and behold...on the bottom of the brown purse packing slip it says:

"It was so great to meet you, Merry Christmas, Love, Wendy Inman."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

I almost burst into tears right there.

Back in 2005, I made the design team for a now defunct scrapbooking magazine. There were 12 of us. We all went through a pretty rough time with the demise of the publication. I am not going to lie, it was emotionally draining and frankly pretty awful. But, what a great bunch of ladies! I think we all pulled out of it a little wiser.

Wendy and I hit it off immediately. We have e-mailed and chatted online, and laughed until we cry--each at opposite ends of the country behind a keyboard and monitor. I have come to depend on her for support, and second opinions on design team work or just home life in general. I appreciate her honesty and value her opinion.

We finally had the chance to actually meet in October. I was a little nervous--what if we only get along online? Am I weird for flying half-way across the country to hang out with ladies I don't *really* know?
<---crappy picture alert
And then, when we met, it was like I had known her forever--it was instantly comfortable. And without sounding like an ad for eHarmony or some strange stalker, I loved every minute I spent with that girl. Girls at the Getaway didn't believe we had only just met.

Got me thinking about the whole online thing. About how small it shrinks the world. About making worthwhile connections. About ALL the friends I have met through this hobby. About how nothing is coincidental, and how good things happen sometimes in the middle of what seems to be such a dark time. About how lucky I am.

About thoughtfulness and friendship and new brown purses.

So here's to Wendy! I am so glad we met.
(Thanks for the purse!) Smooches.

PS: Is this the best picture we have together? Meh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at Getaway and didn't realize you guys had just met. So cool that you are blessed with such a great friendship!

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

gotta love friendships like that.

Sara said...

How cool is that?? You guys hit it off AND you got a BONUS bag!! LUCKY LUCKY YOU!! Good friends like that are hard to find!

Dar Kaso said...

Yep, that Wendy Inman is the best! What a sweetie she is for sending the purse.

Alex said...

Awwwww now i'm bawling!!! I love ya girlie!!!

Alex said...

PS.. I like that picture from the airport.. it's amazing what a 12X12 piece of paper will hide when you hold it in front of yourself. I'm considering carrying one around all the time now.

Kasey said...

Awww what a sweet tribute to your buddy Wendy. I know what you mean about laughing till you are crying with her. Just ask her about Peg's miming in a box. Nuff said
Kasey

Anonymous said...

---Just ask her about Peg's miming in a box. Nuff said----

Kasey- you know you all secretly wish you could mime like me, right? hehehe....snort!

Shaunte-Wendy keeps me laughing and is a true sweetheart! She was our connection to you....and bacon!
hehehe...enjoy the plethora of purses!

Vee said...

you are so right!!! awesome post! :)