Friday, December 14, 2007

Holidays Balls.


Cake Balls.

I found the recipe for these last year, and I forgot all about them until a few weeks ago. They are easy to make, and I think they look pretty impressive for the low effort they take.

I wanted to share the recipe, so if you still have some parties coming up, you too can make some, and hear all your friends "Oooo" and "Ahhhh" over your Martha Stewart-esque culinary skills.

Cake Balls

One cake mix (make according to package directions, bake, cool and crumble cake into a large mixing bowl.

One can ready to spread frosting

Dump about 2/3 of frosting can into the mixing bowl with the crumbled cake. Using your hands, mix all together, until it holds its shape (like play-dough) Roll into walnut sized balls. Place on small cookie sheet, and put into the freezer until solid.

At this point you can put the frozen cake balls into a zip lock baggie and freeze until the day of the party. They are nice to have on hand that way. For that neighbor that drops you off a gift, and "oh crap" I don't have them anything. Viola! A small plate of balls. Heh.

Day of party:

Remove cake balls from freezer. <---obvious. Or I guess you could climb into the freezer and complete the next few steps, but it would be rather cold, so I guess it is good that recipes clarify each step.

2 bags (12oz each) white chocolate chips
2 T. crisco

Place in bowl and melt in the microwave. It took mine about 3 1/2 minutes. You take the bowl out every 30 seconds and stir it, otherwise I think it could burn. Just keep stirring, and melting, until it is all melted. I think you could use Almond Bark too, I never have--I think it tastes waxy, but that is just my opinion.

Then take a toothpick, or skewer, and stab a cake ball, and dip it in the melted chocolate to coat it. Place the dipped cake ball onto waxed paper. The chocolate hardens pretty quickly. If you need to re-melt during the dipping process, just stick it back into the microwave.

After all the balls are dipped...I found that there was a little spot on the top of all the balls, where the skewer was that didn't get dipped, and looked kinda ugly. Spoon some melted chocolate on the tops, and before the chocolate hardens, put a pinch of sprinkles on the top. I happened to have rainbow, but I bet some holiday kind would look even better. Or colored sugar. Or maybe spoon brown chocolate on the top? Hmmmm...I just thought of that when I was typing this up. Like little chocolate hats.

What kind of cake mix?

Well, what do you like? Anything works. I have used strawberry cake with strawberry frosting. I have done chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. My favorite is french vanilla cake with coconut frosting.

Each batch makes about 68 cake balls. If you don't snitch dough while making them.

Enjoy! Let me know if you make some.

5 comments:

All8 said...

All I can say is......Wow. Thanks for another fabulous recipe. Our family loves your crockpot enchilada recipe. Except I half the meat and add lots of beans. Very easy and yummy.

Mickey Family said...

Well, that's way too MARTHA for me!! But I have to ask if you've ever seen the SNL 'balls' sketch? This totally reminding me of that! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Cough cough

Sara said...

Ooooo...that sounds like something I just HAVE to make! Could use this for tonight's party we're invited to....THANKS!!!

Vee said...

yum, these look good!!