Sunday, December 09, 2007

Let's Wrap.

These are the gifts Shianne wrapped last year. She used four rolls of tape. On seven gifts. Yes, she did. And there were still exposed areas of "gift" with no wrapping. She did it all herself!



She takes after her mother...I am the self-proclaimed Crappiest Wrapper Ever. I don't care. I really don't. I used to. When I was a teen, my uncles paid me to do all their wrapping for them. I was meticulous about folding, and mitering corners, and cutting straight and clean. The gifts had matching bows, and curly ribbon. I even had a ribbon shredder! And matching gift tags! I would carefully write "To:" and "From;" in beautiful calligraphy with a fountain pen (okay, that last one is a little bit of an exaggeration)

One would think, with all my crafty supplies I would love to wrap! Nope. Hate it. I think because no one looks or appreciates, the kids rip into things without a seconds' hesitation. They could care less if it were still in the white plastic Walmart bag it was purchased in.

With the years of non-use, my skills are lacking. I always seem to underestimate the amount of paper a gift requires. I am not above patching. Cutting a two inch sliver of paper to go underneath the short side, and then taping the crap out of it. For a final detail, I cut a random scrap of paper, scribble a name on it, and slap it on the package. They most often don't match the wrapping in any way. I say, easier to find who the gift is for!

I am not above using masking tape when the scotch tape runs out.

I am the reason gift bags were invented.
Here is a gift I wrapped. In fairness, it was an odd shape. But you can see my style.

So, I am feeling somewhat like a loser for my lack of effort, especially when I see beautiful gifts wrapped like these:
Kelli Crowe
Rebecca Sower
Nichole Heady
Not loser-ish enough to re-wrap though.
I am officially finished. With everything! Just waiting for a couple more packages to come from my online shopping spree. Wheeeee! Then I can wrap those, and take some holiday naps in the afternoon, instead of shopping and then patiently cutting and taping.

That my friends, is my gift to myself.

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

HA! I can't wrap for crap either...that is too funny!

Anonymous said...

Embrace your suckiness...say it;
"I love that I suck! I love that I suck!"

Wendy Lojik said...

You can wrap for me anytime my dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Oh my . . . I can't wrap either! Actually, I don't have the patience for it. And, isn't ironic that we are so meticulous about scrapping the "perfect" page and we hate wrapping a present? My dh does all the wrapping. He measures from end to end and wraps a perfect present! Merry Xmas to ya Shaunte! Renae Clark

Anonymous said...

this is just like me! i wrapped my first few gifts last night ... and it took me less than a minute each. lol! crinkle the paper to fit, tape the heck out of it, slap a tag on it ... done deal!