Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Things I Have Driven (Part Five, Six and Seven)

Once again car-less.

Sam metioned to his Dad that he was looking for a vehicle for us. His Dad didn't skip a beat, and said "Well, why don't you just take the van?"

Sams parents had been driving an Astro van for a while. It was great for going on bowling trips where they could pack everyone, and all the bowling equipment. However, they only did the whole bowling trip thing once a year. To Bowling Nationals. Yes, Bowling Nationals is a real thing, that is why I linked it. And to expand on the whole bowling thing would be another really long post in itself, so I am choosing to skip it for now. Anyway, the van...

My FIL had wanted to get my MIL something smaller to drive around in, and trade in the van. Well, they weren't sure if the trade in would be worth much. So they gave us the van.

We were so happy! My in-laws rock.

Well, the Astro was great for all the kids. I put them all in the back, and it felt far enough away that I could periodically block them out. As the van aged, it took on some rust. And then more rust. And then one day...

I was driving into town with my neighbor and all of our kids. We stopped at a stop sign, and got rear-ended. The van lurched forward slightly. I started driving away. My neighbor said "Dude! You just got rear-ended."
I said "I know."
"Don't you think you should get out, and call the police?"

As luck would have it, there was a police officer two cars back who saw the whole thing. He flipped on his lights and came over. Crap.

"Ma'am, do you want to assess the damage."
"Nah, that's okay."
"But, you were just hit by that car."
"Yep. this van has cancer anyway...look at it! I just don't care."

So I didn't exchange insurance or anything. The bumper got a little dent in it. In the grand scheme of things a new bumper wasn't going to be any sort of improvement.

The officer kind of chuckled and walked off. I honked and waved at the other car, and took off. I figure Karma owes me one.

Eventually we traded the Astro in for our Suburban.

Sam picked it. He wanted something that would allow him to be able to tow his Jeep down to Moab for Jeep Safari weekend. (He did that a total of two times, I believe) I wanted another van. I am short, and a Suburban was a little big for me.

One day, he called me on his cell phone. It was April Fools Day to be exact.
"Hey honey, guess what? I bought you a car!"
"Oh, riiiiight. Nice April Fools..."
"No! Really, I did...here, listen (fiddles with something and then some country song comes on) Would I have MY RADIO pre-set to THAT?"
I said "????"
"Wait...listen...(honks horn) that is our NEW HORN!!"

Really. How did I luck out and marry this guy? His genious is staggering....

"Never mind," he said "I am almost home."

And true to his word, he was driving our blue Suburban.
We got it in 2001, and she lasted (with only a couple minor mis-haps) until well...two weeks ago. I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE...(this is so exciting...)
I GOT A NEW VAN!!

It rocks. I mean, it's still a van, but now that you have read the long saga of things that I have driven, you can be excited with me.

It has a DVD player which had already paid for itself.
The kids....well, WHAT KIDS???!
I don't hear a peep out of them as long at the electronic babysitter is engaged.
Sanity for me.
Sweet, sweet sanity.

7 comments:

Sara said...

Congrats on the new van! The DVD player is a blessing in disguise!! BTW--You are looking GREAT--real skiiinnneee!!! Good for you!!!

Mickey Family said...

nevermind the van! check out the skinny Miss Shaunte! Look at your legs/hips!!! Or should I say look at what should be legs/hips! There's nothing there!!!

Janet O. said...

Wow - and HOLY CRAP you look great! I'm inspired to stay on my diet!

Amy Sorensen said...

Congratulations, Shauntae! That is SOOOO exciting! And you DO look great! Yay you!

Candi said...

you are one hot mama! congrats on the new van!

Anonymous said...

DUDE! You look awesome! How much weight have you lost?

laura vegas said...

i know i left a comment here earlier ... but i'll leave it again. lol!

you look absolutely amazing! i think you need some new tight jeans to show off your "hotness" while driving the new van! loL!