Monday, February 04, 2008

Things I Have Driven (Part Four)

Alternately titled: "The moment I lost every remaining ounce of my PRIDE."

After I had Jayden, he was so much fun...we decided to have another. So Brendan joined the family 18 months later. He was so fun too, so nine months later I got pregnant again, this time with twins. They came a month early, and our little family consisted of a (barely) three year old, an 18 month old, and newborn twins! Doesn't that sound fun!

What can I say about the Dynasty? Sam found it for me. I was so grateful! I had been without a car for months. I walked where I could. But mostly I was just trapped and at the mercy of Sam coming home from work early, or bumming a ride with someone who happened to have enough car seats.

When you drove the Dynasty, you just felt old. You wanted to pop in 8-tracks of Frank Sinatra, and eat fruitcake. It had crushed velvet seats. And cup-holders big enough for icy cold cans ofEnsure.

I need to back track a bit...we bought the Dynasty right before we had the twins. I remember driving it to the hospital, and then literally filling it with car seats. We had Jayden in the middle with us (it was a bench seat, with no air bags) and then the back seat was car seat row. Brendan was in the middle, front facing, and the twins were on both sides of him, rear facing. That was the only way the car seats would fit. There wasn't even enough room in that car for someone to fart.

We finally resigned ourselves to the fact that we would need something else. We were tossing the idea around when out of the blue, this um, senior citizen came into Sam's work one day inquiring about the owner of the blue Dynasty. Sam thought he left his lights on, or the um, not-so-young fellow had hit the car or something. Well it was a miracle! The elderly gentleman wanted to BUY IT. He said he has been looking for one for a long time. He had CASH! So Sam sold it, right there on the spot.

I was car-less again.
With four babies.
And slowly going mental.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to here part 5 this is sad that I have nothing else to look forward to except part 5. lol

Anonymous said...

Shaunte, seriously funny and sad all at the same time....LOL

Sara said...

I'd lose my mind being stuck in the house like that! Can't wait to hear the next chapter!