Sunday, July 13, 2008

Non-camper.

I don't like camping.
Let's be honest, the only reason I ever go is for the toasted marshmallows.

I don't like bugs.
Dirt.
Smokey campfire smoke.


My contact lenses.
Trying to keep kids hands clean.
Sticky hands.
Helping kids squat in the woods to go potty.
Cooking things without the right pots/ingredients/utensils.
Trying to squat in the woods myself.
Amorous husbands...in a tent...really?
Being hotter than the blazes of hades, and then freezing my buttocks off all night on an AIR MATTRESS that has at some point in the middle of the night gone flat, and left you on the ONLY ROCK that the tent was pitched on.
Hooting owls, and frogs and well....nature is so freaking loud at night!
And the farting.
And the silly kids giggling alllll niiiight looooong. (okay, I like that one, but we can do that in the comfort of OUR OWN HOME!)
Not to mention the post-camping laundry.
Everything has to be washed!
I feel like one over-nighter a year is really "taking one for the team."
Can you guess what my boys are doing here?

Oh, and where might they have learned this important fire-maintenance survival skill?
MmmmmHmmmmm.

So guess where I will be next week?
Yes, I said WEEK.
Tues-Friday. (although I think I am coming home Thursday)
At Girl's Camp.
Camping.
In a tent.
In a camp.
Camping.

Lucky me.
So if I am not around...
There just better be enough marshmallows. That's all I'm sayin'.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude... You are my soul sister. I'm NOT a fan of camping.

Cori Henderson said...

Shaunte, you are a trooper! Good luck!

Lora3677 said...

i'm right there with you.... HATE camping... but I just refuse to go. HA!

cl said...

i totally agree with you...thus the reason why we purchased a trailer...but even then it sucks, trying to keep the dirty, smelly kids out of the nice, clean trailer.
good luck at girls camp, i will pray that the skies rain down marshmallows for you!

laura vegas said...

i'm right there with you on camping. lol! i grew up doing it ... all the time. but i'm so not into it anymore. way too much work ... and dirt ... and all that other stuff you said. lol! good luck next week!

Anonymous said...

I love to camp. it is some of the best memories I have of when my kids where little. No T.V., No Cell Phone, No e-mails to answer, Just our family getting to know each other better. Enjoy girls camp.

Tamara said...

You've captured my sentiments about camping perfectly. Have fun at YW Camp (I've been for the last 4 years - I feel your pain!)

Amber said...

I just got home Saturday from Girl's Camp! Have fun! Hopefully your ward won't get "grounded" the last night like ours did. Too many waterballoons and shaving cream!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I absolutely hate tent camping. You want me to camp their better be a motorhome in the picture and since we don't own one of those we don't camp LOL.

Peg Graham said...

Oh Shaunte- Love the peeing on the campfire shots! bwahahaha!!!

Don't think I'm strange for telling you this (ok...strang-er)...but, I actually took a Camping Course at College...and it rocked. (I got an 'A' too).

Not saying I'd like to camp in the summer...colder weather is way better for camping.

Have fun at Girls Camp! teeheehee

marshmallow smooches-Peg

Darleen said...

aaahhhh, camping!! I love camping as long its in a Hampton Inn...

P.S. you can roast marshmallows @ home too...just get one of those fire pits from Lowe's and put it on your back patio..works wonders!!

Happy camping!!

Kris said...

I think I just pee'd a little in my pants reading your camping post. You crack me up! I just got back from Girl's camp on Friday... You'll end up having a blast! Good luck.

Granville Loar said...

S'more tip for you...
Scrap the tiny piece of Hershey chocolate and slap a whole, honkin' Reece's Peanut Butter Cup on there with the marshmallow and graham crackers. So much better!

photographer said...

you always make me laugh! love to live vicariously through your blog and your adventures!

tag!