Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hey! Why didn't someone remind me, it's TOOLSDAY!

I totally forgot last week too.

And I have plenty more good tools to report on.
This week I went to Costco, after a long, dry non-Costco run.

I was jonesin' for a hamburger, you see, and bought that mega-box of meat for the grill, then I had to get the cinder-block sized cheese brick to go along with it.

Sam makes fun of me for buying those bricks of cheese, cause we always end up throwing half of it away, it gets all moldy and stuff.

I am determined to use this brick.
The whole thing.

I made the burgers, and everyone had cheese on their meat.
Even the hot-dog eaters.
Had cheese.
On their hot-dogs.
Yeah, it was kinda gross, but I am TRYING TO USE CHEESE, MAN! Besides, hot dogs are just gross anyway. What does cheese matter?

So anyway, tonight we are having...dun, dun, DUN!
Grilled Cheese.

However, about a week ago, I threw away our griddle.
Yes, I certainly did.
We got it as a wedding gift, in 1994.
We laughed because it was so big, and there were only two of us.
And then we had five kids. We thought that was a good idea...
And then we laughed cause it was too small. I could barely fit six pancakes on it, and that is like three bites for my family now.
The legs broke. Sam glued them.
They broke again, and Sam wired them.
Then they disintegrated into plastic dust, and for the past six months I have used magnets as legs.
And then it hit me...
Much like the toilet seat incident.
Why am I hanging onto this hunk of crap?
So I chucked it into the garbage can.
It made a satisfactory thunk.
And today, I realized that I didn't have a grill just as soon as I buttered all the bread to make the sandwiches.
So I ran to Target, and picked this baby up:

My tool of the week.
It's bigger than our old one.
And I unwrapped it, and set it to work right away.
My first batch of grilled cheese sandwiches burnt to a crisp in 3.2 seconds.
Apparently they have taken great leaps in grill technology since 1994.
It cooks, baby!
Was I sad about the burnt-ness?

Nope, cause I used more cheese that way.

11 comments:

laura vegas said...

too funny! you always have to burn the first batch of grilled cheese though, right?!?! lol! i have been wanting to get one of those things ... i look at them in target all the time, but then walk away. lol! and i'm with you on the cheese. you buy the little package ... and you run out. you buy the big package ... and you throw most of it away. same with milk!

Heather said...

For now it's just the 2 of us but I imagine that grill will be a necessity someday. I really hate it when I burn grilled cheese-- just read the story about the toilet seat! LOL- reminds me of a hand-me-down flat iron my mom so generously gave me. It would practically burn you while holding it but then I went & dropped it. The whole side cracked, even over the plate. I would have blisters on my left hand but my hair looked great (or so I thought). I look at pics from that time & think how crappy my hair looked & all that pain I had to go through ;)

Lora3677 said...

i can always count on you for a laugh. HA!

Amy Sorensen said...

Here, let me make you feel better about your family's overall health: I buy that big brick of cheese, too. The sharp cheddar, if you're interested. And...we eat it way before it gets moldy. We might even eat two a month.

I am a horrible mother. A horrible chubby mother with a way-too-affectionate affinity for cheese.

BUT! I think an enormous grill is 100% necessary. I use mine ALL the time! Have you ever bought those raw tortillas at Costco? They are delicious. And TWO will fit on your griddle!!!

Sara said...

I just want to know how many batches you might have "accidentally" burned.....

JethRobyn said...

Make quesadillas this week, that brick will be gone in no time!

Margaret said...

Oh wow we had one of those growing up. I really need to get one for us.

The Brooks Family said...

Hi.. I'm stalking from niki's blog again - but our mom buys those big blocks of cheese, cuts them in half, and freezes one - that way it doesnt get moldy. Just a thought.

Mag Family said...

Hey! Love the mega block of cheese. And I have that griddle. I love it too. It kind of sucks that things are only lasting 10-15 years doesn't it. My washer went out after 15 years. Ticked me off, cuz you know it won't last that long and I paid like 3x the amount of the last one.

Mag Family said...

Hey! Love the mega block of cheese. And I have that griddle. I love it too. It kind of sucks that things are only lasting 10-15 years doesn't it. My washer went out after 15 years. Ticked me off, cuz you know it won't last that long and I paid like 3x the amount of the last one.

Peg Graham said...

Shaunte- You know you can freeze cheese? First shred the section you know you won't use before it molds. Next seal it in several small Foodsaver bags (or ask a friend to use theirs if you don't own one). Date it. Freeze it. Thaw it when needed. BTW...if you eat too much cheese, expect to hear a plthora of complaints of
c-o-n-s-t-i-p-a-t-i-o-n.

I'm just sayin'

hehehe...nice griddle. I have one too and love it!