Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Brave Girls


We took Mikayla to Kindergarten registration.
We walked to the school.
All the way there, she chatted incessantly about how excited she was.
About how smart her teacher would think she was.
She practiced spelling her name, reciting her address, and counting as high as she could go.
Then we got there.
She had to sit with her teacher, alone, in the classroom to be assessed.
She waited her turn, while other kids filed in and out.
She was silent.
And while I was filling out papers, I felt her tug on my arm.
"Mommy, what do you do if tears start coming?"
I wanted to say to her "Then you don't go to school, honey. You stay home and keep your Momma company for another year."

But I know we both need to grow.

13 comments:

CB from BG said...

Oh no.....
sniff-sniff...

Cori Henderson said...

Poor little thing. She's so sweet.

Wendy Lojik said...

You are killing me! That is so sad.
Hang in you will love it!

laura vegas said...

poor baby! she'll adjust ... and realize how much fun it is to get out on her own!

cl said...

she is the sweetest little thing! but give it a few days and you will be screaming for joy...and so will she!

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

Those are the cutest pictures ever. Poor little thing. Poor mom.
It made me want to cry too.
She will do great. She is so cute and has such a fun personality. I just love her.

Mickey Family said...

totally 100% absolutely feeling the same pain of letting a child go. It's WAYYYY harder on the mom than it is on the child. She's tough. AFter the first day you won't be able to hold her back.

Sara said...

I would've broke down & cried with her! Those eyes!!

Anonymous said...

With those eyes...she'll have her teacher wrapped! My baby's going to Kinder too. It's a happy and sad thing.

Lora3677 said...

She will LOVE school.... Callie went to Kindergarten Camp this summer as a sort of preparation for school... I think it helped, but it was a hurdle as well...

Anonymous said...

Poor Kika! She is such a sweet girl and will make friends fast.
I'm sending her "you can do it" vibes.
Laura

Anonymous said...

I get sad just thinking about it. Hugs to you and her!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart! Give her hugs and smooches from me. Tell her Carson says; It will be alright and you'll meet friends and have snacks and ride the bus like a big kid does!